Author Topic: Prolapse  (Read 1789 times)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Prolapse
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »
Prior to this year, I had lost one bird to prolapse, about five or six years ago. I just buried my third this spring and the second in two days. Two were white Ameraucana bantams in their first year of lay. The third was a three year old LF NHR. While I don't supplement with oyster shell, I've used the same feed for years and the eggs are hard as rocks, so I don't think a calcium deficit is to blame, but curious what you guys think. The bantams were full sisters from a pair I purchased, so I don't know the history. The red was fourth generation home raised.
Beth Curran

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »
Sorry Beth.  Here is a link that discusses causes and treatment.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:02:16 AM »
Thanks, Mike, great article. I suspect obesity might be part of the issue. Several years ago I had this horrible woman tell someone, right in front of me, that my birds were "skinny" because I "couldn't afford to feed them."  I was too stunned to even respond, thought we were friends, I'd given her birds, and she was well aware I'd been battling coccidia, we'd been comparing stories for months. Needless to say, I was mortified and have never allowed a food dish to get empty since...
Beth Curran

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »
With caged birds being trained to show, allowing the food dish to go empty, especially over night, is a great way to tame them down.   When they realize where the food comes from they get over their fear.   Of course some are more naturally wild than others and will never settle down.   Those are culls at Red Stag Acres. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
Of course some are more naturally wild than others and will never settle down.   Those are culls at Red Stag Acres.

Yep, pretty is as pretty does. An agreeable bird with faults might get moved to the layer flock. A bird that's difficult to work with is gone, regardless what it looks like.
Beth Curran