Author Topic: Bantam (Milk Crate) transport coops  (Read 1321 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Bantam (Milk Crate) transport coops
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
You know those square plastic milk crates are handy for many purposes.  The problem is many folks use ones that are owned by milk companies for personal use and that is illegal.  To get around that I bought 6 from FarmPlast, out of NJ.
I made them into transporting coops that hold two bantam pullets/hens each to take to shows.  They aren't big enough, in my opinion, for males due to their longer tails.  They have plenty of ventilation.  I cut cardboard to fit and cover the bottoms and added some wood savings.  A bungee cord makes sure the gals don't push the top boards away and escape.  So far they work well and are easy to make when you have your grandsons helping.  Let me know if you want any specs for the wood and fasteners.  I can also include close up photos of areas if requested.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Bantam (Milk Crate) transport coops
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
I wasn't happy with the bungee cords used to keep the covers in place, so I came up with a different idea.  Now I use 10" long pieces of 1/2" thick plastic, 5/8" wide, with a screw fastening it to secure the tops/covers.  Wood would work too.  I tightened the screws so there is a little pressure when on the covers and the hold-down strip stays in place.  I just pick up a little on each end and turn it to cover the covers.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Re: Bantam (Milk Crate) transport coops
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:37:50 PM »
I like that little addition!
Beth Curran