Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 10310 times)

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »
Eliminating MG and MS from a large scale operation is probably worth while. But for a backyard hobbyist who likes to show I think it would be a wasted effort. It's just one of those things we will always have to deal with. Hatch a bunch and cull at the first sign of sickness...

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
I guess if anyone did achieve an M.G. free flock they could always get into a vaccination program for it.   Victor Hakes and Twin City Poultry Supplies has the vaccine at about $100 per bottle.   Most vaccines can not be re-used once the bottle is opened, so it would be quite an expensive proposition for anyone with many hatches each year like many of us. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 12:13:58 AM »
Totally agree with you, Max.  There was a gal in my neck of the woods, novice just getting into chickens and not even showing, her put her entire flock down because she had a bird tested and it came back with MG.  So now she's gonna start all over and who knows?  In another year or so she could have some wild bird bring it right back in.  Seems pretty silly to me.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
I have had CRD in my flock in my flock for the past few years. After breeding and culling and no medication I can safely say I have a resistant flock. Resistance is possible, though hard for the backyard hobbiest  who can only hatch a few chicks each year. I kept birds alive at first only until both eyes sealed shut... At that point I culled them. Last year I was safely able to cull a few who had sealed eyes and the rest were fine. This year the only birds I have culled was one buff male.. The rest have been fine. I am hopeful next year I won't have anything to cull as far as CRD is concerned. While it took me out of showing for a few years it is so satisfying to know my birds are healthier now and stranger than they were a few years ago. I have changed my animal rearing views and now asap I kick my young birds butts outside to live. 24/7. I only just now brought in my show stock for this year and they look AWESOME. So bright and healthy! Don't give up faith! Breeding for resistance is possible.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »
Kudos to you Jensen, for persevering through adversity.   I know it is hard, but it is necessary for anyone who takes birds to shows and brings them home again.   Even at home they can fall prey to CRD by transmission from wild birds, or from the shoes or clothing of visitors.   A lot of young folks would have thrown in the towel, so congratulations to you.   BUT, be on the watch for Laryngo and/or Bronchitis.   They are killers, and should be vaccinated for at the very first sign of an outbreak.  I try to keep the vaccine on hand just in case. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip Mike. I will research the symptoms and be on watch.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2016, 06:24:40 PM »
I would agree with Jensen, but the problem is if you are alone, you are forced into a "closed" flock.  I cull with a "sneeze".  I don't wait for closed eyes.  One sneeze they meet the hatchet.  I have some head shakes now, but I think just about 4 sneezers left.  The heavy rains and humidity haven't helped there, but I do add that yellow vitamin stuff into the water and give green grass for dessert...still out of 100 bought and bred, I have 15 good, that's I guess a 15% healthy rate --  some are healthy just not the best for looks.  I am hoping next year will be a major turnaround and I can start breeding for purty....step by step, slowly I turn...

https://youtu.be/_yJBhzMWJCc?t=1m