Author Topic: white lavenders  (Read 2222 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
white lavenders
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »
I crossed my blue lavender male (self blue blue)   with a lavender pullet and got a chick that is half lavender and half white.  Do you think that the white half will eventually go lavender? One person said that it may go mottled.  Ideas.

thanks Brownie.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:53:07 PM by BrownEyes »

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
Re: white lavenders
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »
How is that chick coming along. Curious about Lavender with another color. I put a Lavender roo over a white hen and was surprised to get almost all whites (18) but 3 lavender colored. Only 1 lavender pullet survived a cocci outbreak and she is gorgeous. What shocked me more is that she looks like a black based Lavender not a white based lavender as the underside of the feathers are the darker color described as being the correct color. All the white ones are looking pure white so far. Sold the pullets and saw a pic of one @ 4 months old and she is also lovely. Last two chicks hatched from that cross were blackish. Right now I don't know what to think about them.

The original lav and white were hatched from eggs I ordered last year and I suspect there may have been an "other" ancestor hiding in the woodshed  ;) Who knows. Made some really nice EEs though

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »
Oh that little fellow is all lavender now.  He still has remainders of blue from his daddy (his sire was lavender with blue highlights) but not as much.  Hopefully next year with some lavenders I got from John I will get a true lavender from the boy.  It's pouring out otherwise I would attach a photo.  This is the sire when he was about 5 months, last September
https://goo.gl/photos/xnnzdkGBAu6FJPax6

Donna Jenkins

• So happy to join this forum.....
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 11:35:44 PM »
Browneyes, is this the only lav chick you got from that cross?....Or did you get others that were white?....What is the reason for crossing white to a lav.?...I just joined the forum and new to raising chickens so I will probably ask a lot of questions....Hope no will mind....Been reading a lot of earlier post also....
Donna Jenkins , mother of two daughters, a wonderful husband with Alzheimers Disease, 18 dexter cattle, and 48 Ameraucana chicks, two dogs, one cat...

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
Browneyes, is this the only lav chick you got from that cross?....

Thanks Donna for asking.  No he was not the only one.  I put him up because he was the whitest of the quartet and his head was kinda weird.  Seems no one understood it any mroe than me, but you never know if you'll get a bite...As for getting white, no i didn't get any that were white but i was kinda hoping that i would get a white because at the time, I wanted whites -- that was the purpose of the breeding.  .  After several years of searching for LF whites and never finding any I've given it up and moved on.  I had one person who was going to send me eggs, and i think forgot and then later got divorced and she got the birds so that lead ended; another wouldn't ship but wouldn't mind if i travelled 500 miles to pick them up and so on; I've run into that a few times for birds and that to me is a sign to move on, so all in all, it was a waste of time.