Author Topic: Chick Phenotype  (Read 9124 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Red Stag Acres
Re: Chick Phenotype
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Chicks 3 and 4 are blues, correct?   If so they appear similar to the first/top chick to me, except for the lighter shank coloring.  That might be attributable to the diluted melanin (black pigment).   So at this point I would not worry too much about that, as shank color can take time to develop. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:52:48 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11,12

John W Blehm

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Fowl Stuff
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
Shank colour may change from day-old to adult hood. For example, W+ (White skin) and id+ (dermal pigment) is not usually expressed in day-old chicks.

Wheaten based chicks start out with flesh colored (pinkish) shanks that darken over the first few months.

Buff Ameraucanas are based a "wheaten" (eWH or ey) e-locus gene and like our wheaten variety they hatch with flesh colored legs/shanks that start darkening after a few weeks of age. 
The photo, below, shows two buff chicks with different shank color.  The one on the left is the flesh/pinkish color that it should be.  The other is already showing some dark pigment, so it may be split for wheaten and some other e-locus gene and should not be used for breeding even though the down color looks fine.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:25:11 PM by John W Blehm »

Caprice Dowsland

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
I think those chicks labelled "bad recessive white" are cute! giggles be funny if that became a new color like buff! If I ended up with one I'd have to keep it if it was healthy and a girl!

Mindy Waters

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
So much good info here. Thank you very much!