Author Topic: BUYER BEWARE  (Read 3467 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
BUYER BEWARE
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
I see in the ABC online summer bulletin that Larry Clionsky, from PA, is again warning people about some guy in Michigan named John.

...He said he got his original trio from John in Michigan. I paid the guy $100.00 for 19 birds. I took them home and after a few days scrutinized them more carefully. Several of the males had black or dark brown feathers in their tails and several birds had light blue legs and I ended up culling seven of them. So i waited until the hens and pullets started laying and when the pullets started I was amazed. BROWN EGGS. Couldn't believe it. Are you kidding me. I was not happy. The next day more brown eggs. Finally,...

I live in Michigan, so you know I'll be on the lookout for this shady fellow. 8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:36:59 PM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: BUYER BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
how does one get "light blue legs"

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:40:31 PM »

Why post it on here? You're question might be bettered answered on the "breeding" portion of the forum. Not in the Market Place portion, where you talk about selling.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »

Why post it on here? You're question might be bettered answered on the "breeding" portion of the forum. Not in the Market Place portion, where you talk about selling.

It was mentioned in the post above and so seemed to be the place to ask.
The answer is that it is in the genes.  LF buffs had very light shanks/legs originally and I'm sure it shows up from time to time with many shades of slate/blue possible.  The main reason I crossbred with buff laced Polish was to darken the shanks.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
The answer is that it is in the genes.  LF buffs had very light shanks/legs originally and I'm sure it shows up from time to time with many shades of slate/blue possible.
  Interesting.  I find that amusing about using the polish though.  I would not have thought of that.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »
I believe that slate blue legs are lighter or darker because of the density of the outer layer of skin, the epidermis.   The dark color in most varieties is only found in the inner layer, the dermis. The exception is blacks and blues and brown reds, where the feather color seems to result in more or less melanin pigment in the epidermis.   You can check it when posting a bird by cutting through the outer layer of skin at the juncture of thigh and shank and peeling back the outer layer of skin.   It is easily done. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »
You can check it when posting a bird by cutting through the outer layer of skin at the juncture of thigh and shank and peeling back the outer layer of skin.   It is easily done. 
Well I guess if you've done it before, true.  I would need a pic of where to go to feel better about.