Author Topic: Need Advice on Wheaten Pullets  (Read 2896 times)

Andrew Johnson

Need Advice on Wheaten Pullets
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »
I have 3 w/bw pullets from Paul Smith's line that are showing some off coloring/mutations. I would like other opinions to reassure I am making the right decision to keep or not. The first pullet I know I will not breed from her as her black ticking of the hackles and black spots throughout her saddle and wing feathers are just too great. The other 2 are what I am questioning. I may just be freaking out and over critiquing as they are still young all being born in April. But the first pullet has me biting at the bit.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: Need Advice on Wheaten Pullets
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:01:46 AM »
I would agree with not breeding #1.  Give the other 2 more time but they are looking ok.  If you do a search on the "other" Ameraucana forum for "mottled" you may find a post from a few years ago where I posted some pics of a similar looking pullet.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »
Following, I have some hatched in March and April (different lines) that have quite a bit of darker spots in body feathers and am watching for changes as they mature.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
Following, I have some hatched in March and April (different lines) that have quite a bit of darker spots in body feathers and am watching for changes as they mature.

I believe your wheatens/blue wheatens are bantams and Andrew's are large fowl.  Even though they are the same variety there may be some minor differences in the genes that produce them.  His "#1" photos of the pullet with random black spots is similar to LF birds Royce, Duane, Beth and I have produced and discussed, as Royce mentioned.  Calico and mosaic were some terms we used before to describe it.  Although it could happen, I don't recall anyone saying they've seen this in bantam wheatens.   

Birds are judged against the Standard when mature and I know day-old chick phenotype can indicate a lot about mature colors/pattern, but these in-between awkward aged started birds sometimes just need time to mature before judging those areas.  Combs and some other comparative traits can be judged against siblings of the same age. 

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »
Pg gene?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
Pg gene?

I would be very surprised if it were.   What makes you think so - is there something I'm not considering?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Andrew Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:43:38 PM »
Yes, all of my birds are large fowl. The 2nd and 3rd pullets I figured needed more time but wanted to ask to be sure. The 1st pullet will be kept a little longer but will not be bred.

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01:17 PM »

I believe your wheatens/blue wheatens are bantams and Andrew's are large fowl.  Even though they are the same variety there may be some minor differences in the genes that produce them.  His "#1" photos of the pullet with random black spots is similar to LF birds Royce, Duane, Beth and I have produced and discussed, as Royce mentioned.  Calico and mosaic were some terms we used before to describe it.  Although it could happen, I don't recall anyone saying they've seen this in bantam wheatens.   

Birds are judged against the Standard when mature and I know day-old chick phenotype can indicate a lot about mature colors/pattern, but these in-between awkward aged started birds sometimes just need time to mature before judging those areas.  Combs and some other comparative traits can be judged against siblings of the same age.

Yes, mine are bantams and the spots are more like just darker brownish feathers strewn about the body. So what I see in mine is not the same thing as what we see with Andrew's LF. Thank you.