Author Topic: old APA Standard book wanted  (Read 4458 times)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
old APA Standard book wanted
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:42:18 AM »
I would like to buy an APA book with the correct and complete info about the SOP for Ameraucana varieties. It can be tattered and held together with tape - as long as it is a complete and accurate.

Anybody have an older copy that they will let go?

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
Re: old APA Standard book wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »
was looking online and found the 2010 version of SOP from APA and the ABA's 2014 Centennial Standard. Would one of those have the correct, full, detailed standard in it. I am a visual learner so pics are very helpful. How are the pics of both desired and undesired or DQ traits?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
The ABA has the Standard right as of the latest version I own, which is 2011.   It was not correct in the 2010 version of the APA Standard.    I believe it was right in the 1997 version, but I no longer own that one. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
The asking price seems high, more than the cost of a new one.  And they are only paperback editions.
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
Did you ever find one Rebecca?

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »
Thanks for asking, Suki. I broke down and got the current edition and just made notes in it.

Makes me mad that they would publish something with so many errors, but so much good info also.

Gave me lots of guidance to help evaluate what I have here as I climb the learning curve.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
I attended the show at Hutchinson, Minnesota this weekend, and took along a 1923 APA Standard of Perfection to donate to their club raffle.   It brougnt $80 at auction.  I had the only Ameraucana bantams there, and the Thompson family had the only Ameraucana large fowl, and they were in the junior show.   I did find out that Hutchinson will probably be hosting the ABC 2017 national meet.   Jerry DeSmidt had requested their bid. 
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
Thanks for asking, Suki. I broke down and got the current edition and just made notes in it.
Makes me mad that they would publish something with so many errors, but so much good info also.
  You're welcome.  Yes there are errors, but with a good .38 pen you can update it and learn.  I use a Pilot Juice in Green and cross out the errors and put in the corrects.  I figure that will last me a while.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
I attended the show at Hutchinson, Minnesota this weekend, and took along a 1923 APA Standard of Perfection to donate to their club raffle.   It brought $80 at auction. 
Wow, did you think Mike that it would fetch so high a price?  That was a nice donation.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »
At an auction, all it takes is two interested bidders.   But yes, there are collectors looking for these old books, because each one was a little different.  I have a number of others, including a  "Standard of Excellence" from the 1880's.  That was before they called it the Standard of Perfection.  I believe I could have done better selling that 1923 editionf on e-bay and donating the proceeds, but this was a whole lot less time consuming and less trouble.   
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »
I believe I could have done better selling that 1923 editionf on e-bay and donating the proceeds, but this was a whole lot less time consuming and less trouble.   
I think your method was better and more fun all around.  i wouldn't second guess myself.  Weren't those the books that the former member left you?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »

Yes, those were Bernard Kellogg's books which his heir, Randy Buske, graciously gave to me.   Randy no longer has chickens.
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »

Yes....

Thanks that's what I thought.  When is your next auction for the others?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
I will probably parcel them out as donations for fundraisers little by little.   I did not donate a book to the Alliance national this year because I had donated cash and a trio of birds instead.   BTW, the bantam trio of brown reds brought $150 for the Alliance.    I don't know if any of the others topped that or not.   Thanks again Max!
Mike Gilbert