Author Topic: NPIP Certified Flock?  (Read 1826 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
NPIP Certified Flock?
« on: August 18, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »
Linda Ferguson emailed to ask that I add that she is "NPIP certified" to her Ameraucana Directory listing.  This is something I haven't done to date, but if others want it included please let me know. 
I've maintained an NPIP flock for decades as a convenience, since it is pretty much required to sell poultry into other states.  It also means the birds I take to shows don't have to be tested for Pullorum–Typhoid , since they are from an NPIP flock and I just supply the flock number.  In Michigan the state certifies testers once a year, in early March, and I recommend that exhibitors get certified so they can test their birds and eliminate having them tested just before cooping in at shows or trying to find someone to do it prior.  If you don't show and don't sell out of state I would say don't bother with it.

FYI...
Here are their breed/variety codes that pertain to Ameraucanas:
R = Large Fowl & W = Bantam
STOCK CODE        DESCRIPTION 
R222 AMERAUCANA
R260 AMERAUCANA, BLACK
R261 AMERAUCANA, BLUE
R674 AMERAUCANA, BLUE WHEATEN
R675 AMERAUCANA, BUFF
R1031 AMERAUCANA, LAVENDER
R676 AMERAUCANA, SILVER
R677 AMERAUCANA, WHEATEN
R262 AMERAUCANA, WHITE

W573 AMERAUCANA
W671 AMERAUCANA, BLACK
W665 AMERAUCANA, BLUE
W666 AMERAUCANA, BLUE WHEATEN
W667 AMERAUCANA, BROWN RED
W668 AMERAUCANA, BUFF 
W745 AMERAUCANA, LAVENDER 
W669 AMERAUCANA, SILVER 
W670 AMERAUCANA, SILVER BLUE 
W711 AMERAUCANA, SPLASH 
W648 AMERAUCANA, WHEATEN 
W672 AMERAUCANA, WHITE 

Gotta love those lavenders!

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: NPIP Certified Flock?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »
Who has silver blue bantams?   And why no code for blue silver large fowl?    They are two different colors. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
When new variety names are used on the flock test forms it appears a code is associated with it.  I have no idea who has them and assume if the males have a wing triangle they would be blue silver, if not than silver blue.  Maybe the codes are retired if not used for a period of years.  Just my guess work from years of observations.  They used to send a large book to me every few years listing all the participants, codes, state requirements, etc. 

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
John - In the email I sent you yesterday, I didn't mean to ask you to add that I am NPIP certified. My email was requesting a change in shipping categories to show that I will now ship day old chicks, started birds, adult birds and deliver to shows.

My email to you was confusing and I apologize. I'm new to NPIP, and it isn't important that it shows in the Directory. Thanks - Linda

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
You asked if there was a way to note in the Directory that you are NPIP certified and figured it would be a good addition to the information provided.  I put a little chicken symbol in my listing too, to indicate NPIP certified, and I'm sure others will want to do the same.  It will mean something to some fanciers checking out our directory and looking to buy. ;)

I think the easy way to indicate those that are NPIP participants is to include their flock number in their listing, so if any member would like it included please email it to me and I'll get your Ameraucana Directory listing updated.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:21:41 PM by John W Blehm »

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
I never thought about it, but it is a good idea to add it, since if you are NPIP you are supposed to only purchase birds from other NPIP flocks - or test birds that aren't or something like that - I rarely add new birds.
Beth Curran

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
NPIP or equivalent.  NPIP does not guarantee quality only that the birds are tested.  And all states do not require the same standards.  The USDA should step and and make it equal across the country.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:13:59 PM by Harry Shaffer »