Author Topic: National Meet for 2017?  (Read 15804 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
National Meet for 2017?
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:41:33 PM »
I know we haven't had our 2016 National Meet yet, but it is time to think about a show to place our 2017 meet with.  Please contact show clubs that you would like to be considered to host it and ask them to submit a bid to Michael before the 1st of November.  We place our annual Ameraucana National Meet about a year in advance so members have plenty of time to plan for hatching, vacations, etc. ;)

Article 10 – National Meet
Any member may solicit bids (offers) from poultry show clubs wishing to host an Ameraucana National Meet and submit them to the President.  Bids must be received by November first to be considered for the club’s National Meet to be held the following fall.  The President shall share the list of bids with the Board members for discussion.  The President will then ask for the Board to vote on the show club bids before November 15th.  The Secretary will place the meet and promote it in the Winter Newsletter.  If the show is cancelled for whatever reason, the President will direct the Board to vote to place the National Meet at another show as soon as possible.  Club sponsored awards offered at the annual Ameraucana National Meet will be determined by the Board of Directors.

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
Re: National Meet for 2017?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
John:
I suggest the annual Fowl Fest in Birch Run, although I would understand if we were to get push back from members who do not reside in the Midwest.  I like the community, and the proximity to lots of shopping for spouses who aren't so passionate about a day surrounded by poultry.
Duane

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »
Bob Walchak has been inactive for a few years, but he said if we have a national meet at Portage he will raise some chicks and show with us again.   I think that would be a good thing.  FYI, that is the Wisconsin International show held at the Columbia County Wisconsin fairgrounds on the last weekend of September.   It is a two day show. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
John:
I suggest the annual Fowl Fest in Birch Run, although I would understand if we were to get push back from members who do not reside in the Midwest.  I like the community, and the proximity to lots of shopping for spouses who aren't so passionate about a day surrounded by poultry.
Duane

I asked and their offer remains the same as last year.  Here are the highlights...
We will provide up to two 8’ tables and 2 chairs.
We will provide an area for your club meeting.
Your club will have first choice of the judges we hire and your breed(s) will be judged first, provided your breed club is the first to place a national meet with us - first come, first serve.
Your breed(s) will be given a prominent location in the showroom.  Your breed will be on top if double stacking is necessary and if applicable your bantam and large fowl breeds will be placed as near to each other as possible.
Your National Meet will be promoted on our website.
Your breed club will receive a rebate of $1 per bird entered of your breed(s).
Your breed club will receive a $100 bonus if 200 or more birds of your breed(s) are entered.
Here are a couple photos of this year's Fowl Fest.  Ailes were about 6 feet wide and no show coops were double stacked.

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:15:26 PM »
The Malcolms vote for Fowl Fest as well.  Gramma is only an hour away and our Michigan family can come see the guys and their birds.  If we know before Christmas we can plan time off for the long drive.
About how many birds compete at Fowl Fest?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
The Malcolms vote for Fowl Fest as well.  Gramma is only an hour away and our Michigan family can come see the guys and their birds.  If we know before Christmas we can plan time off for the long drive.
About how many birds compete at Fowl Fest?

The board will vote on a location by November 15th.
We had 1,157 birds entered this year.

Gina Neta

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
Let's talk about this at our meeting in Lebanon - should have great opportunity for discussion.  😊

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »
I am good with Fowl Fest. Distance will be an issue for me no matter where we have it, but if I am able to make it, that's a show well worth the trip!
Beth Curran

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:56 AM »
Just talked to Neil Townsend a few weeks ago. He mentioned Columbus aka Ohio Nationals, I know Zoe people do not like that show. So please don't shoot the messenger lol. No matter where we have it I will attend, except Canada, that's a different story. I for one do think we need to start thinking of moving it around a little so a select few are not burdened with a long journey every year.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
Just talked to Neil Townsend a few weeks ago. He mentioned Columbus aka Ohio Nationals, I know Zoe people do not like that show. So please don't shoot the messenger lol. No matter where we have it I will attend, except Canada, that's a different story. I for one do think we need to start thinking of moving it around a little so a select few are not burdened with a long journey every year.

Right on Russ.   The Rennolets are driving all the way from South Dakota and the Malcolms even farther, from Colorado.   Max is driving up from Texas.   I would think we could at least think about Iowa or Minnesota or even Wisconsin or Missouri. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
I think we should have it in South Carolina!! 😁

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »
I understand Stan.  Even though there are only 3 members in SC there are many just north and south of you.  Not all members are exhibitors though and even those that are generally limit how far they will travel to a show.  I would probably go to a National Meet in SC, just because my wife likes the warmer weather and it would be a real plus for her if it were near a beach. ;)
FYI, here are the states with the most members...
MI = 12
OH = 11
TX = 11
CA = 10
PA = 10
NC = 9
FL = 9
WI = 9
Also some states like TX & PA are very restrictive when it comes to poultry shows.  Some don't allow birds from out of state and some require more testing than others, so that also needs to be considered. 
The Midwest has always been the region with the most Ameraucana breeders and exhibitors, probably because the breed and all varieties were developed here.  I think the Fowl Fest in Michigan would draw many exhibitors and entries, because OH, IN, IL, PA and WI are close.  Lucasville, Ohio would be another good one I think and it may attack more from the south and east.

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 02:23:13 PM »
I would vote for Lucasvill but that is just because I live only 2 hours from it. Though I wouldn't have any issue going to SC for a warm weekend.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
Continue with input here and we'll talk about it a bit at our meeting Saturday to get input from members there also, but if anyone is serious about having a show club host the next Ameraucana National Meet they should contact the show club and get a proposal to Michael by the 1st.  The board will then discuss the options and vote on a location by the 15th. :)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 03:00:37 PM »
I think we should have it in South Carolina!! 😁

I could make it to South Carolina!!

;D