Author Topic: Hurricane Matthew  (Read 3122 times)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
Hurricane Matthew
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:26:51 PM »
I hope everyone in the path of Matthew is prepared and all their 2 legged, 4 legged, etc. loved ones are in a safe place. It is going to be a bad one!!!

The last three days have been brutal here. Garages here in Florida usually end up being storage since we have no basements and I could barely walk through mine. I had to figure out a way to house a bunch of birds that were not used to being confined.

Finally they are tucked away in relative comfort. They must know something is coming because no one is complaining, much to my surprise!

I had to get a bit creative with a storage shelf and I scavenged or borrowed every cage I could fit in.  65 chickens and quails inside now

A few waiting for the storm  . . . . .

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Re: Hurricane Matthew
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »
Stay safe, girl! It looks like we're gonna dodge this one but hate that friends and family to the south are in the crosshairs of this monster...
Beth Curran

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »
Stay safe, girl! It looks like we're gonna dodge this one but hate that friends and family to the south are in the crosshairs of this monster...

Goodness Beth, checked the map, you are in really low country, fairly close to the coast. Hope the storm turns quickly and goes off to sea. Maybe just leaves a little rain behind for NC.

It's about 5:45 here now and pretty breezy, but everything I can see from inside has stayed put. We need some rain here, just not flooding in low areas. Luckily, I am on one of the higher spots in my area.

By staying off the coast a bit, Matthew may not do so much damage as we feared.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »
We're 11 miles from the coast and not near the ICW so we should be safe from storm surge but we have had a month of rain almost daily - the ground is so saturated even the 50-60 mph winds forecast for tomorrow will probably push trees over.

Glad things aren't too bad there. Hopefully the eye will stay off the coast and you guys will just have the backside winds to deal with!
Beth Curran

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »
We're 11 miles from the coast and not near the ICW so we should be safe from storm surge but we have had a month of rain almost daily - the ground is so saturated even the 50-60 mph winds forecast for tomorrow will probably push trees over.

Glad things aren't too bad there. Hopefully the eye will stay off the coast and you guys will just have the backside winds to deal with!

We were so fortunate, when the eye moved a little further off the coast late last night, it made a huge difference for everyone whether on the coast or inland. I am about 45 miles inland but they were calling for full hurricane winds here.
I was still on the edge of it but it did not turn out that bad. a couple of shingles lifted. Power never went out WHEW Of course the coast was hurt be not like it could have been.

Turned out to be mostly inconvenience (I will take that) and for my son and his family and excuse to stay in bed and watch movies, take naps    HA
Still have mild bands rolling thru with drizzle and breeze. I have the windows open now. It is really nice

Did not know you had had so much rain in your area. I have family in Harrisburg, Concord, Charlotte and that area is suffering drought terribly. They would like to see that rain (but not the storm)

I certainly hope it turns away sooner than they predict and give you a break. It's awful hard to tie a tree down - or prop it up !! All you can do is be as prepared as possible and hope for the best. I hope you and your family stay safe.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
Glad to hear that you made it thru with minimal damage!...Being from west central Fl I how it can get..

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »
Rebecca glad it went easy on you guys. Stan how goes it over your way? Are you getting the outter bands from it?

It's calling for 15" of rain here. Back home we got  snow in feet and rain in inches. Here we get rain in feet and snow in inches (if at all). #homesick

Beth Curran

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
Stan, I see you are in SC but inland. Did you get thru the storm OK?

How are you doing, Beth? Worried about you and yours.

I may be heading toward coast here, many others were not so fortunate as I. Volusia and Flagler counties were badly battered and I know some folk there that fared poorly. No loss of life, lots, lots of damage, cleanup

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:13 AM »
We only had a few gusts from outer bands and just 2 inches of much needed rain. Got by easy except for a large limb that broke off and took the nest box off of the back of one coop...wet and scared but recovering birds... looking for a report from Beth???

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 10:30:52 PM »
All good here! Very little damage, lost a small tree and roof panel off the main barn but otherwise we fared extremely well. Glad you guys did as well!
Beth Curran

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 11:50:03 PM »
Time to celebrate!!!   I watched the storm off and on until it went off the coastal curve.

Was so worried about you, Beth. Family and pets safe (check) Repairs and clean up are a pain but we can deal with that. Waiting to hear from Robert Burns, Holly Springs, but I think he should be fine. Last I heard just a little rain and gusts from the bands for him too.

Every one rest well, g-nite

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 10:28:23 AM »
Thank you all for the posts.  Most of us were no where close to the hurricane, but knowing you guys even just thru this club made it more important to us.  I'm sure it sounds obvious, but it is good to hear the "all clear" and that you are OK.   

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
Thanks, John. We stayed home yesterday and out of the way of the work crews, but we drove to Wilmington today for Walker's birthday party (they have an awesome trampoline park) and, as expected, saw a lot of trees blown over - with the saturated ground they just come right out roots and all - but not much damage to buildings beyond a few missing shingles. Flooding is the big concern. The rivers won't crest until mid-week but not looking good for the folks along the waterways... :-(
Beth Curran