Author Topic: Our First National Meet  (Read 10960 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Our First National Meet
« on: March 21, 2015, 09:56:02 PM »
The Board of Directors will vote on a location for our first National Meet.  I think we need to get this placed as soon as possible so we can start making plans to attend.
The first step is to solicit bids/offers from show clubs that our members would like to have the meet hosted by.  We can then get some discussions going here and maybe some polls to see who plans to attend and what shows and dates work for those members, before a vote is taken.  Please feel free to solicit bids and post them here.

Check out Poultry Show Central for lists of shows and contact information.

FYI, in less than a month we have nearly 40 members.  Here is the breakdown of how many are from each state/province.
MI = 4, WI=4, NC =3, CA = 2, IL = 2, IN = 1, KS = 2, MT =2, PA=2, VA =2, GA = 1, KY = 1, MD = 1, MO = 1, MS = 1, NH/VT =1, NY =1, OH =1, OK =1, SC =1, SK= 1, WV =1, WY =1.
Between the two Carolinas and the two Virginias we have 7 members.  If you add in the members from some adjoining states there are about a dozen.
Between Michigan and Wisconsin we have 8, but adding in those from other Midwest states brings the number up around a dozen also. 

I have asked for bids from…
Southern Ohio Poultry Association Fall Show, in Lucasville, October 3-4, 2015
Michigan Poultry Fanciers Fowl Fest, in Birch Run, October 10-11, 2015
Lebanon Valley Poultry Fanciers, in Pennsylvania, October 10, 2015

Due to its central location I think Lucasville is a good one.  The draw back in Mike Gilbert has other plans that weekend and can’t make it.  I’ve been there several times and it is a nice show and show club.

The Fowl Fest is only 10 minutes from my place, but farther north than Lucasville and may be too far for many.  Fowl Fest is in the Birch Run Expo Center just off I-75.  Birch Run & Frankenmuth are great tourist towns.

Lebanon is the same weekend as Fowl Fest, but only a one day show and requires AI testing that I’m sure would cut down on us out-of-state exhibitors that otherwise don’t have to deal with it.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Our First National Meet
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
Awesome, it doesn't matter to me but Fowl Fest is one of my favorites. Lucaseville is also another great show, so either one is great. Just let me know when and where and you can count the Blair family in. This just might be the incentive I needed in buying a new GQF Sportsman 😃
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »
Neil said don't waste our time considering Lebanon.   The state does require A.I. testing.     I would be in favor of Fowlfest at this point.  It's a great location, right off the interstate in Birch Run, Michigan. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:45 AM »
I'm okay with Fowl Fest, too. It's a shame about the PA rules, because it looks like a nice show and they even have some nice cash prizes, but I agree the testing requirement would likely dissuade a lot of people. Lucasville would be closer for me but it just wouldn't be the same w/o Mike!
Beth Curran

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
I too like the Fowl Fest.  Maybe I can find a way to rearrange my schedule to attend, if not exhibit.
Duane                 

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:33:50 PM »
I'm a Poultry Technician licensed in PA &   I don't recommend PA at all for literally anyone.  The requirements are ridiculous and expensive.

Gina Neta

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:08 AM »
I am all in favor of Fowl Fest!  It is a terrific show run by friendly and helpful folks.  I would love to see this show grow.  I am all in for Fowl Fest and do plan on bringing Ameraucanas this year (along with a few other birds)!

Jerry Segler

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »
I like fowl fest .

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
Fowl Fest - now there's a name that speaks FUN.  8)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
Fowl Fest...just the name says "gotta do it"
Paradise Found

James A Fegan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »
I would attend either Fowl Fest or the Lucasville show.  Jim Fegan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:18:09 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:39:26 PM »
Whew who, going to be a great show. Now if a man wants to donate some added prize money who would he send it to? Or I guess is that going to be allowed?
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 10:28:23 PM »
I receive our Michigan Poultry Fanciers' newsletter and here are some dates and times that will be of interest to our members that plan to attend the Fowl Fest. 
Note the deadline for entries is the date and time they must be received by, not postmarked.
Because setup is on Friday and it takes time to set up, early coop-in begins at 4pm on that day.
Coop-out will be close to 10am on Sunday, immediately followed by teardown. :o

Some Key Dates to Remember:
Deadline for fall show catalog ads: August 15, 2015
Fall show catalogs available: September 1, 2015
Fall Entries deadline – Noon, Saturday, October 3rd, 2015
Show setup: Friday, October 9, 2015, starting at 8am
Early Coop-in: Friday, October 9, 2015, 4pm – 10pm
2015 Fall Show: October 10-11, 2015
Fall Show teardown: October 12, 10am
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:33:57 PM by John W Blehm »

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
Sadly its a little too far for me to attend, 2025 miles too far lol.. But I wish everyone to have a safe journey to the show and to have a great time.  I hope the club can possibly create a folder for event/meet pictures :)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
850 for me, 14 1/2 hours, but gonna give it a good try!
Beth Curran