Author Topic: Who is hatching early for next season?  (Read 8888 times)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Re: Who is hatching early for next season?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
Mike, would it be this one? I've been looking at it for a while - anxious to hear what you think of it.

Finally set my first batch last night, all bantam - wheaten, white, silver & project buff.
Beth Curran

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »
Mike, that is a surprising price.  I found the unit on their website but it doesn't explain how humidity is controlled.  Does it use the typical water pan in the bottom of the unit?

Yes, just water in the bottom of the unit.   So it will be a bit of experimentation to get it hatching correctly, which is why I'm starting early.   But all the Dickey ever had was a water pan as well.

They also have a 48 egg unit for even less money, built the same as this one, except the 96 egg model is a "two story" unit.   I'm not sure how it will work out, but for the money I thought it was worth trying. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
...Does it use the typical water pan in the bottom of the unit?

If you have a choice between using city water and well water (with a lot of minerals like mine) in your incubators I recommend city water, distilled or filtered water.  If you use well water chances are the water pans, float valves, etc. will end up with more build up from minerals than city water.  Chlorination is a separate issue from minerals and a little Oxine, Tek-Trol or bleach can be added if your water isn't chlorinated. 

Over the years I've posted photos of many of the weird chicks that I've hatched and I think Mike and others have jokingly questioned if there is something in the water.  Well...I live in the county just north of Flint, MI.  Don't worry though, our Saginaw water supply isn't the same.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »
I have a Dickey incubator, the "standard" one with a hatching tray (though I usually hatch in a different incubator). I really like the Dicky's, much better than the GQF cabinets, IMO. Better made and less expensive.
Thanks.  I think I'll order that later this month.

Michele Cram

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
Those of you who are hatching early, how are you dealing with weather issues?  We have a heated shop but I have concerns about keeping the temperature warm enough.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:04:01 PM by Michele Cram »

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
...Does it use the typical water pan in the bottom of the unit?

If you have a choice between using city water and well water (with a lot of minerals like mine) in your incubators I recommend city water, distilled or filtered water.  If you use well water chances are the water pans, float valves, etc. will end up with more build up from minerals than city water.  Chlorination is a separate issue from minerals and a little Oxine, Tek-Trol or bleach can be added if your water isn't chlorinated. 

Over the years I've posted photos of many of the weird chicks that I've hatched and I think Mike and others have jokingly questioned if there is something in the water.  Well...I live in the county just north of Flint, MI.  Don't worry though, our Saginaw water supply isn't the same.

Ordered Oxine this week, lost some chicks to cocci last spring/summer and doing all I can to prevent that again.

Rob Skelton

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
   1 little wheaten chick on new years day. I hatched 2 just after thanksgiving.   New incubator. I normally used hens or had a friend do my hatching. I got some work to do. Need to get it figured out before the ducks begin to make eggs!
working with wheaten.blue wheaten Ameraucana bantams, salmon Faverolle bantams, Buckeye LF, exhibition Khaki Campbell ducks.