Author Topic: Who is hatching early for next season?  (Read 8855 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Who is hatching early for next season?
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »

Last year I had bantam chicks out in December.   That is not going to happen this year.   Too many had passed prime condition, and some had even gone into molt by the time the October shows rolled around.   I may hatch just a few large fowl, as they seem to take a little longer to mature.   The bantams can wait until about March. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Stan Alder

• Associate
Re: Who is hatching early for next season?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:38:42 PM »
I expect to start in February..I don't concern myself too much with show dates..As long as I get enough started before the heat comes in...really anxious to see what I get from a couple LF silver and hoping those whites I got from Kraig will be ready to go!!  and those blues...oh my!! as always, looking forward to chick days!!   

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:20:45 PM »
This past season I struggled to get birds good and laying till it was the end of February. All of my LF as a result have been a bit young this year for show season. I won't be making the same mistake this year.... I already have eggs in the incubator.  8)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »
If I can get my barn and new hatching room all set up I would like to hatch out some Large Fowl as well. With the current push to get the new school, I am currently heading up, closed in before snow falls. I am working with very limited time unfortunately. Large fowl are always the challenge for me to get hatched out in time. I am with you Mike on the Bantams, they can wait until March/April and still be ready.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:42:43 AM »
I've never hatched before the 1st of the year.  I'll start setting up breeding pens after Christmas and probably get the hatch in February, like Stan.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
I actually sat up my wheaten & blue wheaten bantam pen this morning, but nothing is laying right now, partially because of molt and partially because they are getting very short hours of light.   
I'm kind of excited about this group, as it includes the BB wheaten pullet at our Spring Coulee Region show, the BV Blue wheaten pullet at Lebanon, and the RV wheaten cockerel at Lebanon.  Three of the other four pullets were not shown, but are quite good on average.   This may be the best little wheaten cockerel I have raised in years, though granted I have not been raising that many.   I have another wheaten cockerel and a blue wheaten cockerel that I can rotate in later if need be.   The blue wheaten K was raised by Jeff Sonsalla of our local poultry club, and he is also an Alliance member. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:06:52 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Andrew Johnson

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »
The only ones that have laid for me is my Wheaten girls, but it is inconsistent and not enough to hold for incubating. It seems the others are still on strike with this record breaking Bama heat. When they do all decide to lay, we do plan to set a few "test" hatches this fall.

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
I had my first fall hatch over the weekend. 15 blue/black/splash LF Ameraucana and a few other varieties to round out the hatch. Another hatch set for two weeks from now and I am scheduled to pick up another batch of hatching eggs this week. I'm focused on those longer layers and early pullets and getting stock back up and going here.

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 08:29:56 AM »
Hatched out 10 LF wheatens and 6 LF blacks over the weekend.  Since I set the eggs, my Ameraucanas have stopped laying completely, so I just got to the last few eggs in time. Last year I forced laying throughout the winter with added light but plan to give them a rest this winter, so this hatch could be my best shot at a couple of nice birds to take to Fowl Fest.
Duane

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
Bob Rennolet won the egg contest at the Nationals with huge, beautiful blue eggs.  I asked him if he would mind if I put a couple of them in the incubator, as I would be setting some eggs in just a few days.  He agreed but warned I could get just about any combination of the many varieties and breeds he had in his flock. When I candled at 7 days, I removed 6 of the 10 eggs which were infertile.  Two of the remaining 4 hatched.  One is sold black, including the legs.  The other looks like it may have some blue in it, with matching light colored patches on each wing.  It will be fun seeing how they develop.  Thanks Bob.
Duane

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »
I got a little blue come out today.  So pretty.Hopefully more will follow.....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:52:59 PM by Suki Paolini »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
If I can get my barn and new hatching room all set up I would like to hatch out some Large Fowl as well. With the current push to get the new school, I am currently heading up, closed in before snow falls.
What's the new school about Russ?  Teaching Ameraucanas how to read and write?

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »
More chicks hatching today . . . again large fowl blue/black/splash

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 10:30:43 PM »
Suki I just chuckled reading your post. I am a union Ironworker by trade, and am currently in charge of erecting the iron in a new elementary school. This time of year around here there is always a big push to get new construction under roof before snow flies.
S.E. Michigan

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
Some black ameraucanas started pipping this morning. First chick of the season for me!