Author Topic: Light Ameraucana Project  (Read 11930 times)

Steve Neumann

• Associate
Light Ameraucana Project
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:48 PM »
I have another project where I am working with birds on the e^b locus and Columbian restrictors, and I am getting some of these birds that are split for e^b/e+ that are clean silver with Columbian type markings.  I'm contemplating keeping some and seeing how much I can clean up the pattern.  For those who have tried working toward Columbian before, perhaps you could give me some advice.  Is this a fool's errand?  If so, I'll just get rid of them as Easter Eggers, but I've always loved Silver Columbian birds. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 12:25:29 PM by Steve Neumann »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Possible Columbian Project
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
Basic silver Columbian is not too complicated, so if that is what appeals to you, give it a shot.  There is no disgrace in failure, should that occur, but if you don't try you will always wonder.   I don't know of anyone else who has worked on Columbian in Ameraucanas, but there have been Columbian Leghorns along with a good number of other breeds.  It sounds like you have a good handle on Mendelian principles, so why not?  Good luck!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl this year and post pics of my progress if all goes well.

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 01:26:47 AM »
There was a guy working with them. I saw it on one of the Amraucana FB groups. But it might have been an old post or old info on the post.

I would cross with a light sussex to establish the pattern since they have white skin.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
When I read this tread last week I did a search for "silver columbian" and came across an interesting article from 1980 by Danne Honour called Columbian Leghorns.  I've liked the Vorwerk/Lakenvelder pattern since I first saw it and Danne mentions it in the article as an alternative to columbian.  I believe the black hackle offers a more attractive contrast in colors than basic columbian. 

Dennis Heltzel

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »
John, you going to try to get the Lakenvelder pattern in Ameraucanas? I think that would be very pretty, I'd buy them.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
John, you going to try to get the Lakenvelder pattern in Ameraucanas? I think that would be very pretty, I'd buy them.

The thought crossed my mind a few times, but that was a far as it got.  I avoided other breeds and new varieties for many years to help create and improve those that were already accepted.  Now I'm of the opinion to just breed what I like and let those varieties that aren't popular enough to make it on their own good looks to fall by the wayside.  As you look back you'll see breeds and varieties have their day of popularity and then become someone's preservation project.  As Mike said "if that is what appeals to you, give it a shot."

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:47:16 PM »
John, thanks for the article.  Good info, and pretty encouraging.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
I would just like to point out that the idea of making Columbians by crossing a Silver male with a Black female will depend on what genetics the black female carries that is covered up by E extended black and the necessary modifiers.   It may work, and it may not.   But you won't know unless you give it a shot. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
I would just like to point out that the idea of making Columbians by crossing a Silver male with a Black female will depend on what genetics the black female carries that is covered up by E extended black and the necessary modifiers.   It may work, and it may not.   But you won't know unless you give it a shot. 

Is it possible to build a clean Columbian pattern on e+?  I thought all of them were built on e^b or e^Wh.   Most people I've talked to say that e^b is easier to get clean markings.  I have given my project some thought and am also going to bring in a Coronation Sussex, so I can simultaneously work on Columbian and Coronation.  I'll try a few different routes instead of just one, to see which works best.   

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
Steve,  those imported Coronation Sussex were extremely nice.  I wish I would have had one to create my lavender line LF but in those days they were not here.  I had some that I sold when I was very ill last year to the fellow that bought 99% of my orpington.  I used them on my lavender Orpingtons and the improvement was wonderful.  They produce very large skull width bred to an Orpington.

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
Of those birds, this fellow was the only decent one.  I kept him. 

I also hatched out 7 Light and Coronation Sussex from Tina Bergonzini, so very nice pattern genetics on Wheaten.   

Looking forward to seeing what I get this fall.

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
Thought I'd share an update.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
Looking promising Steve
S.E. Michigan

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
Sadly, my split females weren't laying great early in the season and I had more pressing need for that pen, but I did manage to get a few project Columbians hatched out.  Once I am done with more serious breeding, I will hatch out a lot of them in earnest.