Author Topic: Fowl Segregationist  (Read 1476 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Fowl Segregationist
« on: December 07, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
I remember as a teen noticing how our chickens would naturally segregate into different groups according to feather color.  It is very common to see it yet today in pens with mixed varieties having their own little cliques, with the buffs all roosting together and other varieties off to themselves. 
What I've found interesting lately is that a neighbor, about a half mile away, has chickens, ducks and turkeys free ranging and the white ones of all three species flock together...as the saying goes.  The two ducks and two turkeys are white, along with one chicken.  The other chickens are of mixed colors and even though close by the white birds they are generally several feet away.

The Malcolms

• Associate
Re: Fowl Segregationist
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
I chuckled when I saw this.  Ecologically speaking many species will avoid white members of their population because the white animals tend to draw predators.  Also related birds will often roost together. Even if they are not directly related DNA often recognizes itself.  In a pen full of all white or all black if I look carefully at leg bands I notice the birds closest to each other are related.
Just another perspective...

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:27 PM »
Sorry miswrote originally.  Yes I've noticed the same.  They really do "flock" together.  Even black and lavs stay apart.  I've noticed though that Blues can mingle with blacks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:03:26 AM by Suki Paolini »

Rob Skelton

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
    Wouldn't it be great if they  would only breed within their variety when run together.  That would make things much easier.
working with wheaten.blue wheaten Ameraucana bantams, salmon Faverolle bantams, Buckeye LF, exhibition Khaki Campbell ducks.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »
Yes it would lol
S.E. Michigan