Author Topic: Disinfecting eggs with Tek-Trol  (Read 4966 times)

Dennis Heltzel

Disinfecting eggs with Tek-Trol
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
I am wondering if I should try spraying my eggs with TekTrol. Is it likely this will improve my hatching percentage? What concentration should I use?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:14:27 AM by John W Blehm »

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Re: Disinfecting eggs with Tektrol
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »
I've used it before but I didn't mix mine I just used the aerosol. John, do you still spray your eggs with TekTrol?
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:15:43 AM »
I've used it before but I didn't mix mine I just used the aerosol. John, do you still spray your eggs with TekTrol?

Yes.  After I place the eggs into the plastic setter trays that go into the setters (incubators) and just before setting them I liberally spray the eggs with the Tek-Trol solution.  I dilute Tek-Trol with water according to the label.  It completely covers the eggs and is much quicker then dipping them.  When I first tried it a few years ago I started with just a little mist and was afraid of overdoing it, but I haven't noticed any negative results and it only takes a few seconds to do.  I especially feel very comfortable using it because it includes hatcheries, setters and hatchers in the list of many uses on the label.
I use the same solution to clean the setters and hatchers.  The setters get cleaned once before the hatching season starts, but the hatchers get cleaned weekly after each hatch.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
"HATCHING EGG SANITATION" and other good hatchery related topics are in this Quality Control Procedures for the Hatchery paper from the University of Georgia. 

Michele Cram

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »
Do you use this solution on your incubators as well?  I am trying to find something to disinfect my incubators. Recommendations?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »
Do you use this solution on your incubators as well?  I am trying to find something to disinfect my incubators. Recommendations?

Yes. 
...I especially feel very comfortable using it because it includes hatcheries, setters and hatchers in the list of many uses on the label.
I use the same solution to clean the setters and hatchers.  The setters get cleaned once before the hatching season starts, but the hatchers get cleaned weekly after each hatch.

Michele Cram

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »
Thank you John.  I guess I need to wear my glasses when I read posts on my phone.  :)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »

Tektrol.  I get it from QC supply.

Michele Cram

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
After reading this link earlier this spring, I started using Tektrol.  I will definitely continue to use it.  The loss of chicks has went down significantly. I've been using it on everything around the farm.  The aerosol is convenient.  I also purchased the solution. 

However, finding it locally was impossible.  I ended up having to ground ship it to my house which added a lot of the cost.  I am going to continue working with my local feed store though.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Disinfecting eggs with Tek-Trol
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
I buy a gallon of Tek-Trol each year from Cutler Supply and pick it up at a swap meet where they are set up at and selling supplies.  That saves on the shipping costs for me.  Our Michigan Bird and Game Breeders Association hosts 5 swaps during the year around the lower peninsula and Cutler Supply is at each one.  I place an order with them in advance to make sure they'll have it when I get there.
If you are attending a show where a poultry supply company will be set up at you could try to place an order with them to pick up some at the show.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:17:41 AM by John W Blehm »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
Victor Hakes usually carries it at the shows as well
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 11:17:24 PM »
Victor Hakes usually carries it at the shows as well

And Victor sets up and sells supplies at the Fowl Fest, so if you want some and are coming to our Ameraucana National Meet in October place an order with him and pick it up there.

Lisa Helms

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 05:20:49 PM »
This is a GREAT thread.