Author Topic: To test, or not to test  (Read 2822 times)

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
To test, or not to test
« on: January 02, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
My NPIP tester called today to schedual for my testing on my chickens. He said he was testing for polorum and now AI. I have heard night mares about people having to irradiate their flock and start over with eggs. My question is it worth being tested to get NPIP certified with the risk of being forced to depopulate by the government? I realize I may get a lot of answers. I am of the mind to breed for resistance, I am not planning to vaccinate for things that are not killers. With the restrictions on antobiotics now I am all the more resolved in this idea. So going back to my question, I do not ever want to depopulate for something that could be bred for resistance, is an NPIP number worth it? 

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
Re: To test, or not to test
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
If you are interested in selling possibly NPIP is the way to go.  If he is going to test them get rid of anything that is not thrifty first and do not let him test any broody hens they some times show up as false positives for AI.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
There are some diseases for which it is futile to try and breed for resistance, among them laryngotracheitis and the high-path strains of avian influenza.    Others, such as Marek's and CRD are proven to be diseases for which resistance can be bred into a flock over time.   Pullorum is a non-issue in my opinion, as it has been largely eradicated.   If you wish to ship chicks, I believe NPIP is a good idea. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
You are right to be concerned about government intervention.  The less big brother knows about our lives and property, the better.  Don't volunteer for more than is required. ;)
I agree with Mike about Pullorum and feel it is a waste of my time, but the state governments set the rules when it comes to exhibiting and sending birds into their states.  Most require Pullorum/Typhoid testing to some degree.  For Fowl Fest you can pay an extra $1/bird and have them tested just before cooping in, if you don't have recent test papers or a flock ID.  This is not required for waterfowl.  Some states require AI testing and some of us just avoid showing in those states to avoid the hassle.  Since I do some exhibiting and ship chicks into other states I've found the easy way out for me is to be a tester and keep a "clean" flock.  Some day when I quit shipping chicks out of state I'll drop my NPIP involvement. 

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
So the tester is coming tomorrow. I saw to not test broody hens or weak birds. Any other advise? I am thinking of becoming a certified tester this year and I don't plan on shipping anything. Can I refuse the AI treatment? They also doubled my fee to 75 bucks. I am cleaning my barn today and get a game plan on who I want tested. I am just trying to gather as much info to decide if I should cancel or not.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
So the tester is coming tomorrow...  Can I refuse the AI treatment?

It is a state by state thing.  I don't know about Ohio.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
I'm leaning towards dropping mine this year as well, after they tripled the price. I don't show that often, only sell a handful of birds, and don't ship.
Beth Curran

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
I am leaning towards testing. I go to the Ohio nationals every year and they require NPIP paperwork. At the very least I can do it this year and then be a certified NPIP tester so then I can do my own. I checked my states records and all other other backyard testing near me have been clean for AI

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
I was updating our Ameraucana Directory and checking the NPIP site for information, when I noticed "Pierson" listed already as a participant. 
http://poultryimprovement.org/documents/oh.pdf
478 E PIERSON, DEB & JENSEN ,1004 E SR 350 WILMINGTON, OH 45177  R8 R16 R17 R72  R77 R103 R222 W119  W304 W573 X135 Z346 
H5/H7 AI CLEAN

The state code for Ohio is "31" and your NPIP flock is #478 in your state, so as you continue as a participant "31-478" is the number you use.  When exhibiting in OH, MI, IN and many other states all you need to do is write that number down on the entry form and you shouldn't need any additional testing or forms.  Mine is 34-208 and I see they have me listed as one of two hatcheries in Michigan.  Most fanciers are listed under the Independent Flocks heading.

I encourage all our members with a listing in our Ameraucana Directory to email there NPIP Flock number to me, if available to be added to your listing.  Often perspective customers are more comfortable buying from NPIP participants.

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
That is strange, considering to my knowledge I have never been tested for AI. That was not there two days ago. I checked it to see if anyone in my area had tested negative for AI

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »
The PDF file for Ohio says...
Last change made on December 21, 2016
It also has all our other Ohio members listed with NPIP flock ID numbers that have listings in our Ameraucana Directory.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
In SC, and Fla., you do not have an option on which birds to test...You must test all birds on the premises....with that said, pullorum/ typhoid are for all practical purposes eradicated, and AI...you'll know if you have that because of the dead birds, so there really is no danger of being quarantined and having to depopulate..NPIP is overrated, but necessary to show, and 'required' to ship...

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
In SC, and Fla., you do not have an option on which birds to test...You must test all birds on the premises..

In Pennsy you have to test a minimum of 30.  If you do not have the mini you pay for 30 tests nonetheless.  The price has gone down to .55 cents a bird so it's not too bad.  My husband & I are registered Commonwealth Poultry Testers.  I think Harry Shaffer is too.  I basically do my own flock.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:38:49 PM by Suki Paolini »