Author Topic: Gold and Barred gene down color  (Read 1421 times)

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Gold and Barred gene down color
« on: January 17, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »
Im curious, would a day old male gold chick carrying the barred gene, be lighter than a gold female with no barring gene?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Gold and Barred gene down color
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
I don't have experience with that, but from my understanding and what the Sellers' site says barring only inhibits color which causes the barring in mature birds.  I don't believe it either enhances or dilutes color in chicks or mature birds. 

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Re: Gold and Barred gene down color
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
I don't have experience with that, but from my understanding and what the Sellers' site says barring only inhibits color which causes the barring in mature birds.  I don't believe it either enhances or dilutes color in chicks or mature birds.

Thats what I thought John.

The mom I'm using, is recessive white. She carries the barring gene since I got some black chicks with white dots and also solid black pullets. The mom appears to be E/eb or e+ and the sire who is a Rhode Island Red, which i believe they are eWh/eWh. Thats how Im getting Red color chicks. The Red chicks are either eb do to the coloring around the eye or e+ because Im getting chicks with stripes. I think those two are stronger than eWh.

In regards to the possible Red barred chicks, I did notice the headspot is a tad lighter and with some white down on them, compare to others that are darker. I guess, I have to wait and see if the lighter head spot Red chicks feather out barred. Once they feather out I should know.

I guess I have to see how they feather out to confirm.