Author Topic: Poultry clinic help  (Read 992 times)

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
Poultry clinic help
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
Hi everyone. I am putting together a 4 H poultry clinic at Wilmington college in Wilmington, Ohio on April 8 from 9 to 12. I was wondering for those of you who are in driving distance would be interested in being a speaker, or know of someone who would be. I thought I would ask here first to get some feedback. Those of u who have been to clinics. What worked well? What was your favorite part? This is serving as my senior capstone project for college.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Poultry clinic help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »
I have done poultry presentations the last couple of years in some of our local grade schools for their "Environmental Awareness" day.    Baby chicks and how to properly brood them is always a big hit with the kids.   After the presentation, with the permission of the teachers, I explain how to hold and handle the chicks and then let them do it for a few minutes.   Large fowl work better for this, as bantams are more delicate and can't handle the stress as well.   You need to know the age range of the attendees and gear the amount of detail according to their comprehension level.   In my case, it is usually one or two grade levels at a time, then they file out and another group comes in, so I adapt as best I can to what I think they can take in.     
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13