Author Topic: New incubator question....  (Read 2738 times)

The Malcolms

• Associate
New incubator question....
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:33 PM »
Well.  The Malcolm Boys are thinking of taking the plunge and buying an incubator.
We usually only use broody hens and hatch 4-8 per momma bird.  This has many advantages but the biggest is that our ambient humidity is around 15% on a good day so artificial incubation is a tricky business.  Some folks get a hatch rate as low as 10-20% and call it good.
Last year we did buy a countertop, hovabator style incubator but after 3 days it never did stabilize in temperature or humidity.  We did not want to risk putting eggs in it so we took it back for a full refund.

Friends have the best luck hatching with the cabinet style incubators here.  About 50-70% hatch rate.  (Our broody hens are 98%). So we were thinking about sucking it up and getting a Dickey.  The biggest question is...when it arrives do we just plug and go?  Our family lacks someone who can tinker with things so we need an on-off and high-low, operator error proof tool.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:35:22 AM by The Malcolms »

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Re: New incubator question....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »
Im sure if you call the manufactor they can have pre-set at the correct temperature. With the humidity aspect I think you might have to play with it to get it right. Usually the instructions come with what to use and how much

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »
I have a Dickey and it is very stable...I have not had to adjust it...mine does not have the digital controller, and I believe I would get that option if I were to do it again...the wafer is a simple adjustment, just be patient and make small changes over a long time period...with the digital, you should be able to 'set it an forget it'. I'm sure Russ will have more help...

Dennis Heltzel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »
I have 2 Dickeys and a GQF 1202. The Dickeys are what I will buy from now on. I have to cover the humidity pan to keep the humidity down (I aim for 25 - 30% until lockdown). If I remove the pan it drops too low, so I put a pane of glass over it. Some of the high speed air going by sucks out some water, obviously. They have a bucket attachment you can get to keep the water pan full. I'm sure that would solve your problem and give you much better hatches than 50% (assuming you count only fertile eggs, even a Dickey won't hatch a dud).

I recommend a separate hatcher, and that is where getting a very high humidity is crucial and difficult. I have a homemade hatcher that is a large cooler, and I can get 70% or higher very easily in there. Hatchers are easier to make than setters because you don't have to worry about turning -- the bane of my attempts at homemade incubators.

As for how easy it is to use. If you can follow basic instructions, it is easy. Do read them first, a little assembly is required. If you have any problems at all, let me know, I can call you and talk you through it over the phone.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »
I haven't owned a Dickey, but they are similar to the GQF cabinet models and I've had several of them that were great for the price.  Some good used ones were only around $250 to $300. 
I understand with your altitude in Colorado humidity is a concern.  Michael, in Missouri, and others have successfully hatched without added water to the incubators. 
If you control the temperature and humidity in the hatchery room the incubators should have less variation of temperature and humidity inside.  I keep my hatchery between 75 and 80 degrees with very high humidity, by placing many water pans in it (see the photo, below, of water pans on floor).  The humidity inside the incubator in controlled by the surface area of water and the vent openings.  The main vent holes in newer cabinet incubators are smaller diameters than in old ones and often that is all you need.  The extra vents that have covers to close them off normally should be closed.  The surface area, of the water, can be cut down by placing a brick in it and can be expanded by placing a wick in it.  Even if you don't put water in the incubator's water pan make sure the empty pan is in place, since the incubator's operation was designed with it in place and air flow may be changed without it.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:46:33 AM »
I love my Dickey, within a few hours I had it dialed in. It is very easy to adjust to get proper humidity and temp. Like any incubator I let it run for 24-48 hours just to be sure before setting eggs. I got the electronic thermostat and strongly recomend that. I also agree it is best to hatch in something else and use it for a setter only. That way you limit the cleaning and disinfecting in it.
S.E. Michigan

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
Thank you everyone for all your help.  It sounds like the Dickey will work great for us.  We will give them a call and see about getting one...

Andrew Johnson

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
We ordered our new Dickey's yesterday. It will be delivered no later than Tuesday. If you haven't already ordered yours I'd like to suggest getting the plastic egg trays. They are cheap and well worth it.