Author Topic: How to tell a hen's age?  (Read 4312 times)

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
How to tell a hen's age?
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
Last year in a post someone mentioned how to tell how old a hen is by the wing feathers.  It had to do with how many times she had molted.  Does anyone know how to do that?  Thanks - Linda

Lee G

• Associate
Re: How to tell a hen's age?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
Sounds neat Linda! I hope someone who knows this method sees this and shares it with us, because I am real curious how it works.  :)

Otherwise, one way I know to measure a hen's approximate age is to look at her shanks. Younger birds have smooth legs, where as older birds' legs are rougher, and sometimes thicker. The legs usually don’t lie…but they don’t help much beyond 2 years of age either. Some chooks age really well, where as others not so much. Kinda like people I suppose.  :P
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
Thanks Lee maybe I misunderstood what I read, but I thought it said there was some change in a primary or secondary wing feather after each molt.  Your reply helps; I'll look at the shanks.  Thanks - Linda   

Jerry Segler

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »
Pigeons can be aged this way . Should work on chickens also . Secondary's get shorter with each molt . Each shortened feather = 1 year .

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
Thank you Jerry, that was the info I was looking for.  I'll check out the secondary wing feathers on chickens I know the age of and see if it applies.  Linda

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
Why does this matter?

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »
Cool, Jerry. Thanks for explaining the how. Were you able to test it out Linda?

Why does this matter?

I suppose it doesn't ....until one day it does.  :)

I blame my curious nature!  :P
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden