Author Topic: Eprinex?  (Read 1263 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Eprinex?
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
I am wondering if anybody has ever used the Eprinex pour on for beef and dairy cattle? I went to get my usual parasiticide ivomec pour on but must of grabbed the wrong bottle. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I opened it and threw the box away. Ivomec has 5mg ivermectin/ml as the active ingredient and the Eprinex has 5mg eprinomectin/ml. I am just afraid to try it on chickens and am hoping someone else has used it?
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Eprinex?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:51 PM »
I used it years ago, but don't remember the formula.  Maybe it has not changed.   As I recall, Eprinex had a much shorter withdrawal period before using the meat (used it on the Red Deer too) than the Ivermectin, so I assume it would be even safer.    Maybe try it on a few of your least valuable birds first and see what happens?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »
Logical idea Mike, funny how simple it sounds now that you mentioned it. Hence why being a member of this club keeps making sense lol.
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
Well I am not impressed with the Eprinex at this point. It is more of an oil base product, and it doesn't seem to have the knockdown that Ivermectin has. I haven't noticed any real adverse side effects, i am not sure about any fertility issues yet. I found one extra cockerel that has been free ranging with some other extras that had a few mites. Four days after treating him I still saw signs of infestation. Needless to say I now have a bottle of Ivermectin and treated him again today. I also treated a couple of my least valued breeders with the Eprinex, which had no signs of parasites what so ever. It may be ok for prevention and not so much for eradication?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:06:16 PM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:18:08 AM »
Since it has a longer withdrawal period it seems to me it would be less potent.   You might try giving them a stronger dose than you would with ivermectin.   I don't believe you will see any side effects. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13