Author Topic: Storing hatching eggs in a warm climate  (Read 1702 times)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Storing hatching eggs in a warm climate
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
Just curious how and where people store hatching eggs. It is a challenge here, since garage & outbuildings temperatures are usually well above the recommended 55 degrees and there are no basements/cellars. I tried a small "dorm" refrigerator once but even at the highest setting it was still too cold. About the best I can manage is an air conditioned room that hovers just under 70 degrees. I suspect this has a lot to do with my hatching issues. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:46:34 AM by Beth Curran »
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Storing hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »
The temperature of your egg storage room should be between 55 & 68 degrees (55 - 60 is better if only setting once per week) with a relative humidity between 75 & 80% according to the University of Georgia's Quality Control Procedures for the Hatchery.
I printed page 4 of the article (see link below) and posted it in my egg storage room for a reference.  

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
My problem is achieving those temps. I don't have the kind of heating/cooling system that allows for different temperatures in different rooms so if I take the a/c any lower Mike's going to start pushing back!  ;) The dorm fridge stayed below 50 degrees at the warmest setting, so that was out. Thought about using a cooler with an ice pack but that doesn't seem practical for maintaining a consistent temperature. I don't do the volume to justify a shed with a window unit, but I thought about adding a vent to a small space, like a closet, that might get cooler than other rooms.

Right now, stored low to the ground in my coolest room, I'm reading 67.5 degrees w/75% humidity, just barely in range.
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
If a room with AC can keep the eggs 68 or cooler than that sounds like the way you have to go.  AC draws moisture out of the room, so I suggest placing the eggs, in trays, on top a pan of water to keep the humidity as high as possible as close to the eggs as possible.  Don't place them directly in front of a fan or circulating air that may dry them too much.  Also, consider setting twice a week since the recommended range up to 68 degrees is for eggs that aren't 7 or more days old.  The 55 to 60 degree range is for eggs stored for a week or longer.