Author Topic: Favorites  (Read 2132 times)

Lee G

• Associate
Favorites
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
Every year there always seems to be one special bird that outshines the rest. I thought it might be fun to share photos of our favorites with each other, if so inclined.  :)

Last year’s clear winner for me is a silver based black pullet hatched late last spring, who might just get a name if I can think of one. lol
(bottom right at 4 months, surrounded by same age hatch mates)

Temperament is excellent, as is her hardiness. Best part is she’s built like a brick house, weighting a respectable 5.5 lbs at 8 months. I can’t get over what a solid thing she is whenever I pick her up! She came into lay just shy of 6 months of age in the dark of winter with no supplemental lightening, and continues to lay well through seasonal temperature swings and coop changes. Egg size is smaller than I like, and shell colour is a bit minty and needs improvement, but all in all, she’s got pretty good potential I think. And being silver based doesn’t seem to have any ill effect on getting a good green sheen either. It’s hard to see in a picture, but the green almost appears to be sprayed on some areas of her wings and tail. Things might change after molt though.

Anyway, it’ll be exciting to see what kind of offspring she produces!  :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:06:00 AM by Lee G »
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Lee G

• Associate
Re: Favorites
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
I realize the picture above was taken back in November when she was only 4 months old. I tried to take a more recent pic, as she’s filled out a lot more since then, but it was not the day for good picture taking, or cooperation apparently. Black is a really hard colour to photograph!

Beard is now gone due to jealous sisters...

Tail needs work, but her broadness makes me giddy!  :D

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »
It will be interesting to hear if she throws her best qualities to her offspring.   Do you have a good mate for her?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
Thanks Mike. I think so too! As a matter of fact, I do have a few prospects in mind.  :) Since I’m still pretty green when it comes to the art of making pairs, I plan to hedge my bets and try her with at least three different males. Ideally I’d like to hatch around 20 chicks from each pairing, but will settle for half that as long as they’re whole and healthy. Then providing one of her partners turns out to be compatible in a good way, I’ll be able to hatch a higher volume from them next year. Maybe even start a silver based family in time.  ;D

Before I get too ahead of myself, it would sure be great to hear any thoughts you have (and others too!) on the males I have lined up. And no need to be gentle. Tell it like it is is my motto.  ;) But first I think I’ll start a new thread, so this one doesn’t get too overloaded with pictures.

Speaking of which, one more won't hurt I hope!

Favorite pullet's backside…I wish I could pin point what it is about her tail that bugs me…too low set maybe?