Author Topic: Highly Pathogenic H7 Avian Influenza in TN  (Read 1550 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Highly Pathogenic H7 Avian Influenza in TN
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
USDA Confirms Highly Pathogenic H7 Avian Influenza in a Commercial Flock in Lincoln County, Tennessee
USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service sent this bulletin at 03/05/2017 12:35 PM EST
March 5, 2017, Washington – The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic H7 avian influenza (HPAI) of North American wild bird lineage in a commercial chicken breeder flock in Lincoln County, Tennessee. This is the first confirmed case of HPAI in commercial poultry in the United States this year. The flock of 73,500 is located within the Mississippi flyway...

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Highly Pathogenic H7 Avian Influenza in TN
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »
Oh boy I hope this is not the start of another 2015 year
S.E. Michigan

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »
Russ, how can you type that?! Lol. Hope we didn't jinx it  ;)   I wonder how many times the commercial industry will get hit before they get mother natures message that chickens shouldn't be raised by the thousands in a steril environment.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »
Well said, Jensen. The fact that the majority of AI cases have occurred in flocks with the highest level of biosecurity should be a wake-up call.
Beth Curran

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »
I agree 100% Jensen, and I sure hope I didn't  :-\. Unfortunately this country is still run by big money and that means big farms will depict how this will play out. Even though it's the commercial operations that are to blame, the little guys will also be punished it seems.
S.E. Michigan

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
It's moment like these I seriously regret my membership to the NPIP. The fear of people randomly tromping on my property to test my flock and finding something terrifying me. At what point will the NPIP overstep their boundaries? Just some food for thought. Every time the gov goes on a commercial chicken killing spree I get nervous.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
It's moment like these I seriously regret my membership to the NPIP. The fear of people randomly tromping on my property to test my flock and finding something terrifying me. At what point will the NPIP overstep their boundaries? Just some food for thought. Every time the gov goes on a commercial chicken killing spree I get nervous.

I wouldn't worry too much about testing, because if your birds come down with HPAI you will know it very quickly by the number of dead birds.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13