Author Topic: Breeding Pens Setup  (Read 5991 times)

Michele Cram

Breeding Pens Setup
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
I searched the forum looking for some pictures or details of breeding pens.  Granted, I didn't click every hit that came up but I didn't find descriptions or pictures.  I am looking to set up mine in a more efficient manner.  Pro tips wanted and appreciated.  Also, if this topic is already posted, please direct me. Thanks, Michele

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Breeding Pens Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
Michele, it would help to know how many birds you plan to use in each breeding pen.  I know John has posted photos of his in the past, so I suspect he will jump in here with some advice.   Personally, I use different size pens depending on the number of birds, from a single pair to a mating of one male with six or more females.   John rotates males, and I seldom do.    I like to use hanging feeders in the bigger pens.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
As Mike mentioned I've posted many photos of coops and pens, but knowing more about what you are looking for would help.  I also have a few photos on my Fowl Stuff site.
Here are a few ideas to start from...
Inside 12 hole bantam coops
Portable coops with pens - these were designed for bantams, but I'll convert them over to LF
Outside pens/runs attached to chicken barn
If you want more photos of anything or a few dimensions, just let me know. 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »
I have 3 large coops on the west end of my chicken barn.  These are used year round to house chickens, but used as flock breeding coops/pens during breeding season.  The barn is 24" wide, so the coops are close to 8' by 8' with outside pens/runs about 8' by 10'. 
Roosts are higher than the perches on the nest boxes.  Feeders are elevated off the floor.  Heated waterers are used in winter.  16 hours of light is provided during breeding season.  Openings between the inside and outside are shielded from the wind. 

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:37:09 AM »
I'll just say that a "breeding pen" can be anything where you can separate out the hens for at least 2wks from all other roosters and then put a rooster on them, wait a week, and then start collecting the eggs.  Size depends on the number of birds.  I use everything from a little chicken tract for a pair or trio depending on how long I plan to keep them in the pen to a 4x4x4 chainlink kennel for a Trio to Quad and 4x8x4 pens for 5 or more birds. 

Just needs to be big enough for a feeder and waterer and secure enough to keep any other males from making contact.  One year I kept all my males in a big chainlink kennel that I have and that way I even got to use the two coops as breeding pens too.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Michele Cram

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
This is the first sunny/rainy weekend that we've had in months.  (Two feet of snow on the ground since Christmas).  My husband and I have been moving things around and building.  Everyone's suggestions and pictures have been so helpful!  I just love looking at other people's work.  There is so much thought, usefulness,  and creativity going into the setups.  It is very valuable for me who is just starting.  Thanks again!   

Eugene Crist

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Attached is a picture of the first bank of pens I built alongside a multi-coop/run I just finished. I've since added another bank of three next to these and I'm building five more on the opposite side. They're 5'X5'X about 5' high and made for single pairings.

I'm a new member and brand-new to breeding; only started this year so I'm not sure this is the best design but it's been working good since I started. I have hens occupying each pen and I rotate cocks between them daily. I believe as long as they have enough room to stretch their wings and do their stuff these pens should work fine. So far I've only had a handful of non-fertile eggs out of about 50. I'm planning to breed them up until the end of March and then I'll knock off because it gets too hot where I'm at.

Gene

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
Looks like a 1st class setup Gene.  I'm sure, as with most building projects, you'll keep redesigning as you go and have time to use them.  Please post more photos from different sides, if and when you have time.