Author Topic: Brown Red large fowl chicks  (Read 2367 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Brown Red large fowl chicks
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »
Finally hatched a few over the weekend.   My best cockerel has proved to be infertile so far, hope that will change soon.   These are out of a back up cockerel.    I can't seem to get into photobucket to upload my photos.   Does anybody have an alternative service that works?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
Re: Brown Red large fowl chicks
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »
Mike, photobucket was being finicky with me a bit earlier too. It eventually did load my pics, after too many coffees and lots of button mashing frustration. I'd love to hear of a good alternate service myself.

And congrats on the years (1st?) hatch!  :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »
And congrats on the years (1st?) hatch!  :)

Not the first hatch - that was back on January 27th.   Just my first LF brown reds to hatch.   Just five this week, but more fertile eggs in the incubator.  I hatch weekly now.   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:53:13 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »
Nice chicks! I would have thought they were blacks at a quick glance.

Man, I wish I had the proper facilities to start hatching and brooding a little earlier in the season…I tried to begin in February once, and sadly found none of my males were interested. Not sure if it was the cold, not enough daylight hours or what exactly…but I haven’t tried again since. After watching the wildbirds for awhile, I figured it was in my best interest to work with nature, not against it. I can see things changing once I have a heated barn though.  ;D
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden