Author Topic: How to get around the VFD law  (Read 2790 times)

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
How to get around the VFD law
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
   I am responsible for 4H Quality Assurance for my county in a poultry clinic i am hosting. I have to discuss the new Veterinary Feed Directive law to the kids. Does anyone have any methods for treating chickens (or preventive measures) that does not involve the vet. I need to give the kids some options to treat their birds if they get sick. I am particularly worried about the fact we have no access to medicated chick starter. I am going to go over good brooder management, and talk about putting apple cider vinegar in the water. Any other advice from seasoned chicken breeders?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: How to get around the VFD law
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:03:18 PM »
I have no problem sourcing medicated chick starter here in Wisconsin.   Is that an Ohio law?    Low levels of Amprolium in starter feed is a means of preventing coccidiosis, not treating it.   I have doubts about the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar, except to help keep water fresh in hot weather.   And I can do that much more cost effectively with a little bleach in the water. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:05:21 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »
Apparently it is just the Purina brand that has discontinued their medicated feed.

Dennis Heltzel

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
It must just be Purina, Amprolium is not included in the VFD as it is not an antibiotic and does not create immunity issues.

If anyone really needs to purchase an antibiotic for their birds, I would suggest you look at aquarium medications, most of those are still legal. I bet meds for pet birds are still sold too. Those all have higher costs (avoiding any reference to a profit motivated conspiracy here) but still much cheaper than a vet visit in the quantities we require.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
Apparently it is just the Purina brand that has discontinued their medicated feed.

I use Kalmbach Feed, from Ohio, but according to the Purina site they still offer medicated starter. 
Purina® Start & Grow® AMP .0125

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
Weird, for some strange reason my TSC just doesn't carry it anymore.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »

I use Kalmbach Feed, from Ohio, but according to the Purina site they still offer medicated starter. 
Purina® Start & Grow® AMP .0125

Purina is way over priced anyway.   I get very good results using Prince medicated starter feed which is manufactured in Marshfield, Wisconsin.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 01:17:11 PM »
After I switched to a new mill, due to my old hammer mill closing down, I noticed a lot of wasted feed due to it being a fine milling. I switched this spring to Kalmbach game bird breeder and am very pleased with it. I went to family farm and had them order me 1000 lbs it came up to $13.50 a bag. I just had another guy claim he could get it for $9.50 per bag going through kalmbach directly if he ordered 3 ton of it. I will be buying kalmbach to grow out my chicks as well, they are very reasonable in price unlike Purina like Mike stated.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »
After I switched to a new mill, due to my old hammer mill closing down, I noticed a lot of wasted feed due to it being a fine milling. I switched this spring to Kalmbach game bird breeder and am very pleased with it. I went to family farm and had them order me 1000 lbs it came up to $13.50 a bag. I just had another guy claim he could get it for $9.50 per bag going through kalmbach directly if he ordered 3 ton of it. I will be buying kalmbach to grow out my chicks as well, they are very reasonable in price unlike Purina like Mike stated.

I've been using Kalmbach Feeds for a few years now and give the #759 Game Bird Breeder mini pellets to my breeders.  A couple friends and I order 3 or more tons at a time and it is delivered to one of them, where I pick mine up.  The last time it was $12.42/bag including state sales tax and discounts.
The #1044 20% medicated starter/grower was $13.05/bag for crumbles and $12.73/bag for pellets.
I also get Joy Special Meal dog food from them for $23.46/50 pound bag and that is a "meat-first" product.
A local horse boarding farm also gets in on the orders, so all the different feeds are delivered on pallets.

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »
I am currently in the market to find some new feed. Due to my farms setup with trying to be as healthy as possible for my customers I am trying to find a source for non gmo feed. I may be trying Kraut Creek brand located in Greenville Ohio.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:04:36 PM »
Jensen kalmbach also carries non GMO feed, including layer and broiler feed  ;)
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »
Jensen kalmbach also carries non GMO feed, including layer and broiler feed  ;)

Maybe get together with others in your area, like we do, and form a little co-op buying 3 or more tons at a time together.