Author Topic: New incubator?  (Read 17359 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
New incubator?
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
Ok I am deciding to bite the bullet and upgrade to a new incubator. I am thinking of getting a 1502 sportsman I was just wondering what your guys experience has been with them? I was thinking of getting the professional GQF and then just hatch in my little home made and styrofoam GQFs, with hopes of buying a hatcher next year, but I have said I was upgrading my incubator 3 years ago also. My second question is should I also purchase the bucket for humidity, and what egg racks have you found to be the best for LF and Bantam Ameraucana? Or do you recommend something totally different?
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: New incubator?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »
The egg racks I had in mind were the TR30 for the LF and the TR50 for bantams
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
Russ, I used a GQF 1202 for years before switching over to a Dickey model cabinet incubator.   Mine has the electronic thermostat with a wafer back up thermostat, water pail sets on top, and a thermometer and hygrometer installed inside the plexiglass door where it can be easily read.   Style is similar to the GQF, as Dickey is a former GQF employee.   My understanding is the Dickey is less expensive, although I bought a one year old unit off Craigslist.   Just tell the company what size eggs you plan to set, and they will recommend the best choice for you. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:37 PM »
Thanks I will search Dickey, I have never heard of them. Thanks Mike
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.  Get the "professional" so you aren't temped to hatch in the setter incubator.  I believe these newer models even have two fans.  Get the water pail for the setter, but not for the hatcher that you buy next year.  The hatcher only runs for 3 of 4 days at a time and the water pan shouldn't need to be refilled during that time. 
I used the Robbins Incubator R5X6 egg trays for LF eggs.  They hold 30 eggs and take up less space than the other 30 egg trays that many suppliers carry.  I would cut one on a band saw, so that I could 78 LF eggs per rack as I recall. 
I think I used the 48 count bantam/pheasant egg trays.  I also cut some and could get a lot of bantam eggs per rack.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:10:55 PM by John W Blehm »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
Another idea for egg trays...in my homemade setters I use 132 egg Chickmaster style trays.  I bought them used thru Hawkhead Hatchery Equipment.  As I was typing I realized that I believe the new 1502 doesn't have a metal tray, that sides onto the rack, like the old units did.  Maybe Chickmaster egg tray could be cut shorter to fit, if the width of the racks works for these.  That would be similar to the way the trays side into my setters.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:13:18 PM by John W Blehm »

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:25:04 AM »
John, what became of your project a few years ago - didn't you build some incubators?
Beth Curran

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
Russ:
I'm right on your heals.  Let us know what you decide.  Have you considered the Brinsea cabinets?
Duane

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Ok, I have researched and made the phone calls. I am going with a Dickey even though each has it pro's and con's. Dickey is made out of wood which I will admit I prefferred the plastic of the GQF, but they come with metal trays on the racks and a metal hatching tray with a lid. Not to mention they will ship today for $175 less what a GQF cost with all the bells and whistles. It would be 2-4 weeks for the GQF. This includes automatic humidity bucket, digital hygrometer mounted on door, egg trays, incubator and divider for hatching tray. It also has an electronic thermostat with a wafer back up. Grand total $800 to my door, oh am I excited . Oh and Duane I did check out the Brinsea but I will be honest the cost alone scared me lol. Unfortunately this chicken hobby of mine still ends up in the red every year. So cost is an important factor in my decision, as long as it doesn't sacrifice quality that is.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:21:26 AM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
That is exciting Russ! How many eggs does the Dickey hold?
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:42 AM »
I believe 90 per shelf for chicken eggs, so 270 total. Oh and I saved $19 by providing my own bucket for the auto humidity. Hatching tray has 2 dividers so that gives me 3 compartments to keep chicks from different pens separated until I can toe punch. 3-4 days I should have pictures of it to share  I am sorry just checked its up to 96 per shelf lmao whew who that's even better. They have all different configurations also, even a 2 shelf setter with 2 hatching trays in the cabinet. Just punch in dickey incubator on Google search and presto.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:17:55 AM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
Just got a phone call from the wife wondering what I ordered. I think the new incubator is sitting on my porch lol. We didn't order a dish washer and that's the size of the box. I am excited and a little scared at the same time. Maybe I should of mentioned it to her before it showed up??? On another note pretty good service from Dickey, ordered it on Thursday and got it on Monday 😃
S.E. Michigan

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »
Russ - Congratulations on the new incubator.  If it were me I'd explain to your sweet wife the business aspect of the incubator and that you haven't forgotten about the dishwasher.  Perhaps it could be the next item you order?  I'm generally the one explaining things like that to Howard since he isn't a chicken person.  Best of luck.  Linda   

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 11:35:29 PM »
Russ, just play ignorant...l don't know where that came from honey, but we might as well use it till the delivery people realize they made a mistake .........nahh..better just go buy the dishwasher

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 11:58:28 PM »
I was laughing out loud telling Kathy about this thread. ;D