Author Topic: New incubator?  (Read 17288 times)

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: New incubator?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
I like Stan's idea!  Or, I 'spose you could try the one that goes... "Honey, we need to talk.  I know I've got to fess up.  I've got an addiction and I need help..."
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
You do *need* the dishwasher. Best way I've found to clean parts after hatching!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:56:12 AM by Beth Curran »
Beth Curran

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
Russ?    Russ?   Speak to us!    Are you OK?   Don't worry, your body will probably heal almost as good as new!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
It's a whole lot easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission, as the saying goes...good luck Russ!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:32:50 PM by Lee G »
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
Ok figure I better update my situation before an APB is posted.  First off my wife was very understanding which has me worried, what does she have being delivered??? Since we already have a dish washer I am a little nervous. Secondly after assembling a few minor parts/pieces (door latches,wafer etc.) I plugged in the new incubator and adjusted temp. It is holding 99.5 perfectly. Tonight I have to stop and buy a bucket and install automatic humidity and finish final adjustments. I am loving the new incubators hatching and setting trays. Overall I am impressed with the quality of the Dickey incubator. I noticed on the paper they sent they also sell brooder a for around $90 stay posted for the next mysterious box being delivered 😃
S.E. Michigan

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
Am I correct that if you want to stagger your hatches you must have a separate hatcher? 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
Am I correct that if you want to stagger your hatches you must have a separate hatcher?
No...strongly suggested.  ;) The GQF style cabinet incubators with 3 racks for setting and one hatch basket are designed as an "all-in-one" incubator. 
If you buy the unit without the hatch basket they call it "Professional" and it is just used as a "setter" incubator.  They also offer the "Hatcher" incubator to finish the job.
There are several benefits to using separate setters and hatchers.  All commercial hatcheries use separate hatchers and I think that is a good indication which way is best.

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
Russ, post some pics will ya :)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
Trying not to tech savvy 😔
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Russell_Blair/library/Mobile%20Uploads
Let's see if this works? First batch going in the new incubator 😄
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
Evidently there are no vent holes in the back of the Dickey, since you have it up against the wall.  I would probably keep it at least 6 inches out from the wall, even if it is an inside wall, for better air flow around the unit.  It may make very little difference in the inside temp, but may help maintain a more constant temperature.  Do the instructions give any suggested or minimum clearances?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »
It should have two adjustable vents in the back, one high and one low.  I keep mine about 1/3 to 1/2 open until I want to raise the humidity level at hatch time, then close it to less than 1/4 open.   But you will have to experiment to see what works best for you.   You will need to move it out from the wall to adjust the vent openings. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:13:20 PM by John W Blehm »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
Evidently there are no vent holes in the back of the Dickey, since you have it up against the wall.  I would probably keep it at least 6 inches out from the wall, even if it is an inside wall, for better air flow around the unit.  It may make very little difference in the inside temp, but may help maintain a more constant temperature.  Do the instructions give any suggested or minimum clearances?

John, can you by any chance post the information on how you built your incubators? I cant remember where I saw it. It was a while ago.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »
It is actually about 2 1/2 in from the wall. I just have to slide it a little to reach the vents. It has been holding steady @ 99.5 with humidity @ 45% for 2 days prior to setting eggs. 2/3 is about what I have the top hole open and 1/3 on bottom hole. I will move it a little farther from the wall. Makes sense now that you say it 😣 it didn't have any recommendations for clearance. I wasn't planning on hatching in it much if at all. I am hoping to build my own little hatcher. You can buy the metal hatching trays with lids fairly cheap so a two tray hatcher shouldn't be much over $100 to build. So I didn't pay much mind to having to adjust vents much, that's why it's good to be on this forum 😃
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
John, can you by any chance post the information on how you built your incubators? I cant remember where I saw it. It was a while ago.
Beth mentioned them recently also.  I plan to start a topic about them with the photos, but just haven't had the time yet.