Author Topic: Mentoring Young People  (Read 2055 times)

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
Mentoring Young People
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
I was contacted last March by a parent of a girl wanting some real Ameraucanas to exhibit. I was provided background information about the student who had recently experienced some physical problems, but was very bright.  As it happened, I had a pair of 6-month old LF wheatens I could spare and was happy to assist her.   In lieu of payment I offered that she could have them in exchange for a written report to me explaining the difference between an Easter Egger and an Ameraucana.  When the family arrived the girl timidly handed me a three page report neatly written on line tablet paper.  She watched nervously as I read the report carefully, and then asked a couple of follow-up questions which she answered correctly.  (e.g. What type of comb do the males have?)

Recently she sent this email to me:

Hello, this is Shelby ___. In early April my mom, dad and I came and picked up a wheaten pullet and cockerel from you. I wrote you an explanation between the difference of an ameraucana and an easter egger. I just wanted to give you an update on how they are doing. My pullet has not yet began to lay eggs, but I am sure she will do so soon. I am excited to see her beautiful eggs! My cockerel has started to crow, and mature quickly. I recently entered them in my clubs annual open show for adults and youth. There were 6 ameraucanas entered into the show. 2 black, one white, one blue, and my two wheaten. My cockerel got best of breed and best variety. My pullet received reserve variety. I am very pleased with how they are doing. Their next show will be my local 4H fair in July. I will give you another update on how they do in the July show! I want to thank you again for the opportunity to get these amazing birds.  Thank You,

I have yet to win Best of Breed but I doubt that will be nearly as fulfilling as seeing this fine young woman succeed!

Duane

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Mentoring Young People
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
Duane, it is stories like yours that make my day and keep me going.    Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
I especially loved your last sentence, Duane.  I've had that same feeling and it is great.
Years ago I remember a discussion on giving birds to juniors as opposed to having them pay something.  I think your "exchange" added more value to the birds for Shelby than just freebies. 
Very Cool. 8)

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
Duane - That's a great story you shared. Thanks for inspiring us all. Linda

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
Duane,

I love what you did and how Shelby has learned and gone forward with what she has learned and her AMs.

In fact, it brought happy tears to my eyes

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 05:03:10 AM »
Duane, thank you SO much for sharing that!  Made me a little misty-eyed myself.  Heartwarming is an understatement.  That was truly the highlight of my day.  That was truly a wonderful thing you did!

I particularly like the idea of you having Shelby write the story.  I hope you don't mind if I borrow that should I ever have the opportunity to do so.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
This was a wonderful thing you have done and a testament to your character Duane. If you have never had the opportunity to meet Duane this shows what kind of man he is. Thanks for sharing this with us all
S.E. Michigan

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
Awesome story, Duane! You can't put a price on something like that.  :) :)

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Thanks Russ.  I'm in fine company with all our AA members.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:43:25 AM »
Love this story, Duane!! Wonderful idea about the essay!
Beth Curran

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »
Here is an update to this story from Shelby:

My show was on July 8th and directly after the show we headed off to Florida. There was quite a few Ameraucanas shown this year, but the majority of them seemed to be Easter Eggers. A beautiful white ameraucana won best of breed, and my cockerel won reserve breed. The judge told me that if he was older he would have won. I am pleased with how they are doing.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 12:27:18 AM »
We definitely need that "Thumbs Up" or "Like" button!!  Good on ya, Duane. Well done!
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)