Author Topic: Shipping eggs with ice packs  (Read 4048 times)

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
Shipping eggs with ice packs
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »
Has anyone had success shipping hatching eggs with an ice pack to keep them cool?  I have a request to ship hatching eggs to the Southern California desert where it's already mid to upper 90's.  We're in the mid 80's here near Sacramento.   One more question about shipping eggs, is packing eggs in bubble the best method or are there better ways to protect them.  Would paper towels or a breathable material be better to wrap them in?
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions - Linda

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Shipping eggs with ice packs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
I've used the foam rubber blocks (Foam Egg Shippers)with holes, that are designed for shipping eggs, and they worked great.  The secret is to double box them.  Once in the box the blocks fit in, wrap it with an inch or more of the large bubble wrap and slide it into a second box.  If you put ice packs in, I would think they would go outside the first box and under the bubble wrap but I don't have experience with that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:31:13 AM by John W Blehm »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »
I have shipped a lot of eggs, and never used ice packs. I use the same method Wayne Used when he shipped my first order of hatching eggs. Individually wrap each egg with small bubble wrap, leaving the ends open. Then line the box with big bubble wrap so you have two layers thick (this includes the sides).  Then I set a row in bottom so they are fairly tight fitting. I then put another layer of big bubble wrap on top of the bottom layer of eggs, sometimes two.  Then proceed with another layer of eggs etc. I continue this until box is full and make sure they are tightly placed so there is no room for them to slide or get misplaced. I have never had anybody report a broken egg doing it this way. I always ask them to let me know when and how they arrive. Most people have also reported good success with there hatch also, I only send what I can gather in a 3 day period also so they have plenty of time to get there in transit.
S.E. Michigan

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
I have shipped a lot of eggs, and never used ice packs. I use the same method Wayne Used when he shipped my first order of hatching eggs. Individually wrap each egg with small bubble wrap, leaving the ends open. Then line the box with big bubble wrap so you have two layers thick (this includes the sides).  Then I set a row in bottom so they are fairly tight fitting. I then put another layer of big bubble wrap on top of the bottom layer of eggs, sometimes two.  Then proceed with another layer of eggs etc. I continue this until box is full and make sure they are tightly placed so there is no room for them to slide or get misplaced. I have never had anybody report a broken egg doing it this way. I always ask them to let me know when and how they arrive. Most people have also reported good success with there hatch also, I only send what I can gather in a 3 day period also so they have plenty of time to get there in transit.

Ive done the same, but instead of lining the box with bubble wrap I use shavings. I figured this would allow the box to breath inside.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 12:29:12 AM »
Hi Russ, How many eggs is that then to a box?

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
I could fit 3 dz LF eggs in a 12x12x8 box which usually ships priority anywhere from $5 to $12 depending on zip code. On a dozen order I always included plenty of extras I try to include 6 extra per dozen ordered. Depending on how the girls are laying of course. With the box, bubble wrap, tape and shipping labels I have around $4 per shipment in the supplies to ship in this manner. Oh almost forgot be sure to put the little bubbles toward the egg with the flat side of the wrap out to allow the eggs to breathe 😃
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:56:15 AM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »
Thanks Russ.  Of course your method is more labour intensive than John's and looking at the 70/12 not much more in costs.  But it's good to know several methods available.