Author Topic: Sand instead of shavings  (Read 6055 times)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Re: Sand instead of shavings
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »
I read both as well and found myself rolling my eyes every other line. Not only are they offering advice based solely on second hand information (their only experience with sand seems to be from beach vacations), but if these writers are to be believed, chickens cannot survive in the state of North Carolina. They seem completely unaware that sand is found other places besides the beach. In fact, most of that beach sand they reference repeatedly is trucked in...  ::)
Beth Curran

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »
I read both as well and found myself rolling my eyes every other line. Not only are they offering advice based solely on second hand information (their only experience with sand seems to be from beach vacations), but if these writers are to be believed, chickens cannot survive in the state of North Carolina. They seem completely unaware that sand is found other places besides the beach. In fact, most of that beach sand they reference repeatedly is trucked in...  ::)

They (chickens) could not live in Florida either! My whole yard is sand, all the Black Kow I have dumped into garden squares seems to wash down and disappear into the sand  :-[

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
Chickens do great in sand, but as Beth mentioned all sand isn't the same.  I worked in foundries were molds were made of lake sand and other materials, but is wasn't the same as the yellow sand in my backyard.  The list is long.  ;)

Heidi Gambach

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
 Can anyone provide a product name and specifics for bagged sand...Home Depot or other location?  There seems to be a few "kinds" All Purpose, Commercial Grade etc.

I live in an area that markets manufactured sand as, well...sand!  So, two different sand companies, loads of dust and "broken" chips labeled sand, 4 yards hauled in and out of the coop and a pretty penny.... I am now back to shavings :( 

Any feedback is much appreciated as I would prefer true sand to shavings.  Thanks all!

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »
From Home Depot/Walmart we use PlaySand in 50 pound bags.  Runs 3.00 spring thru summer.  5.00 in the fall and winter.  It is what they put in playgrounds.  Refined and very soft.