Author Topic: The Latest: Possibly Tainted Eggs Found in More Countries  (Read 1236 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
The Latest: Possibly Tainted Eggs Found in More Countries
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »
The Latest: Possibly Tainted Eggs Found in More Countries
Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 10:57 AM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Latest on an investigation of eggs tainted with an illegal pesticide in Europe (all times local):

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dennis Heltzel

Re: The Latest: Possibly Tainted Eggs Found in More Countries
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »
This was fiprinol, aka Frontline. That stuff is supposed to work wonders on lice and mites on poultry, but I prefer Ivermectin, it is far cheaper, and while still "off label" for poultry, it is a worming med that was (I believe) originally developed for human use.

A good dust bath area also kills a lot of vermin.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
I can attest to Fipronil's "wonder-working' ability.  One can do a search on here from about 4-5yrs ago where I fought the dreaded "super mite" for 2-33yrs and one dose of Fipronil wiped 'em out and kept them from ever coming back.  I detail all the various things I tried over the 2-3yr period and Ivermectin was one of them.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
This is a bit unsettling. I have to wonder a) if there is in fact a real health risk or if this a fear of the unknown since it's an off-label drug, and b) just exactly how much was dumped on these things for a test to pick it up in eggs, since even deliberate frequent high doses for testing purposes produced only trace amounts in eggs: https://books.google.com/books?id=soU9Aaqr7jQC&pg=PA352&lpg=PA352&dq=fipronil+in+eggs&source=bl&ots=1XGpKZXWjX&sig=hx1BDmBuqkrIpjAS3JMQKA9coz8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU6oXYp87VAhVCJCYKHZ6WBHQ4ChDoAQhAMAc#v=onepage&q=fipronil%20in%20eggs&f=false
Beth Curran

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:35:46 PM »
When I read that it's not unsettling to me at all and, while I don't have the info I read way back when from some scientist that broke it down, it says basically the same thing.  In essence it can be summed up by saying by the time one ingests and egg that has come from a 5 lb. hen given 3-4 drops, processed thru her body, and the minute amount that would exists in an egg, eaten and processed by my 200 lb body, I probably got a greater dose that was soaked thru my fingers while applying it to a hundred birds or so.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)