Author Topic: Molting Mania  (Read 1476 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Molting Mania
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »
 I hope everyone attending our National meet is having better luck than I am. Nothing like singling out some decent birds for the past 2 months only to have them start molting  ::). It looks like someone has ran a couple chickens through a wood chipper in my barn and by a grow out pen. I thought a predator got in my grow out pen until I did a head count. Knock on wood I should still have some nice stuff to bring. I have to do a quick sort tomorrow and get my entry made out, hopefully no one else has waited like I have. Please don't laugh to hard when I show up because I will be slipping a few decent ones in with the second string group lol. If all else I will just donate and bring some to make all yours stand out proud. As long as I have 1 chicken with feathers I am not missing this for nothing  ;D. See you all there and safe travels to each and everyone of you.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Molting Mania
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
I have some with similar problems Russ.    It means we hatched a bit too early.   Fortunately I have a few later hatched bantams that should be OK. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »
It isn't just about the birds and winning (I already have those bases covered and I'm not talking baseball  ;D).
I know a couple Alliance members that are flying in (on airplanes) without entries...Come and enjoy a great show, a great meet and bring eggs for competition.  There is still plenty of time for others, like Max & Tawnya, that won't be exhibiting to make plans for what will be a really great weekend in mid-Michigan.  We've even ordered great weather for that weekend!

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
Whew who entry is made out and now I am counting on the usps to deliver my entry from Jasper Mi to Reese Mi by no later than Wednesday. I am bringing at least one of every variety I currently have, minus white bantams due to the 2017 Overall Champion deciding on molting  ;D. Looks like 9 Large Fowl (I will warn you now they are not finished so I will let you guys fight over them wins  :() and 32 Bantams. Which are some younger hatches and unfortunately share the same dilemma as my Large Fowl. Who knows though there might be a couple aces up my sleeves I may try to sneak in  8). Win, lose or draw I am guaranteed one thing for sure......great fellow shipping with a great group of people  ;D. I am super excited to see everyone and hopefully meet some new fellow Ameraucana enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:53:32 PM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:38 AM »
Wish I could be there.  If God blesses me with another placement here soon I'll be one of those who shows up without any birds just to be there.

That said, on the issue of molting, I'd love to hear from any other WBS members about the length of time it takes their birds to molt out, recover, and begin to lay again.  I swear I still got some that take 6mos or so.  It's one of the things that is on my list to work on but priorities priorities!  How does one go about deciding what's a priority!
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
Royce I just got started with Wheaten bantams two years ago so am no expert. What I have noticed pretty much in all the varieties I raise, both Bantam and large fowl, is the better layers molt harder. I am talking they will drop all there feathers in a matter of a week and be almost naked. There are times I have worried about them freezing to death because they molted so late in the year. I have also noticed the ones that molt hard tend to recover quicker. Both in feather growth and egg production in my experience. Now my priorities tend to change every year and sometimes every couple years depending on the progress I have made. One thing I have learned the hard way is not to focus on one or two flaws and obsess over them. I tend to do that and regress in areas without noticing it before it's to late. So now I try and look at the whole picture and pick and choose every year lol. By the way it would be great if you did manage to make it, it would be awesome to finally meet you in person.
S.E. Michigan

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
I have seen birds that "hard molt" like that but, unfortunately, none of them have ever been an Ameraucana.  I do know that's preferred and for the reasons you gave.  The faster the molt, the faster the recovery, and the faster they are back into production.  If I ever wind up with a bird like that I'd probably breed it if at all possible.  Though it'd be just my luck she'd have a crooked beak, crooked keel, roachback, feathered-yellow legs, be clean-faced, and have terrible phenotype.

Yeah, it would be great if I can make it.  Be real nice to meet you and everyone else if I can.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
I just figured all molts were pretty much the same and never paid much attention to it.  This idea of a fast or hard molt brings back a memory, from many years ago, of a bantam black Araucana hen I put in our local show on Friday evening with no sign of molting that I was aware of and by sometime Saturday or Sunday there were more black feathers in her coop than litter.  :-[

Michele Cram

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
I saw a couple of comments that I was wondering if you guys  could clarify, please.

*Mike said that the birds hatched early.  How early is early?
*Someone said they had naked birds for six months.  What is the normal amount of time for a molt?

I have some whites pullets that took a beating during breeding season and they are all looking terrible still.  I have checked them over with a fine tooth comb to make sure it isn't anything else.  I have separated a couple of girls that were in bad shape and they are doing much better. I saw another pullet pecking at one before I separated them.  I am giving them a higher protein feed also.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
"Early" depends on how long it takes a growing bird to reach prime condition, typically the onset of lay for pullets, a little later for cockerels.   Large fowl generally take longer than bantams to reach the peak of condition, but not always.   You need to be familiar with the line(s) you are working with.   If young birds reach peak condition well before they are shown, they are more likely to molt when stressed, such as when the weather starts going form very warm days to cool nights.   Then too, heavy laying production for a period of time will generally take the bloom off pullets, as they draw on their reserves to produce those eggs.   That means their feathers start to lose their luster and broken feathers are more likely to occur.   On the plus side, I have noticed that pullets often become much calmer when they start to lay.  That might be because the feathers are all in, as there are apparently nerves in those pin feathers that don't feel so good when they are disturbed.     Other things being equal, you want to see a molt occur rapidly, and the feathers grow back in rapidly.   Less "down time" then.  The better producers will usually be the faster molters. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13