Author Topic: Leg bands?  (Read 73 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Leg bands?
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »
Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone uses the ABA leg bands? If you do what size are you using for Ameraucana's. I usually use 11 & 9 for LF and I believe 6 for bantams but it looks like the ABA bands go by mm? Just looking for a more permanent type of band to easily identify my breeders. Since I may keep a good reproducer for up to 3 years I think this will help. Thanks for any input
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Administrator
  • College
Re: Leg bands?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
I haven't tried them but I imagine you would have to be pretty accurate on sizing - I've had those spiral bands grow into legs and it's not pretty.

I put zip wing bands on chicks when I move them from the incubator to the brooder. They work well for permanent ID because they stay on for years - out of about 700 I've put on, less than ten come off, almost all because of human error in applying them. But it's a pain to catch the bird and dig through feathers to read them, so I use butt-end aluminum bands on the breeders (I try to match up the last two numbers when I can so that 2083 becomes 83 unless I happen to already have an 83 of the same variety).
Beth Curran