Author Topic: Bantam Silver Cockerel  (Read 1883 times)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
Bantam Silver Cockerel
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:05 AM »
I have a Silver cockerel that I would love some hard critique on.

His comb is a given   >:(

Hatched Feb 18, 2017, I am thinking a slow bloomer, his M/B just fluffed out about a month ago.

On flat surfaces he holds the tail way to high, I was surprised how much better he looks when on a roost balancing himself. Any thoughts on that?

How is the color at this point?  Type at this point?

All comments welcomed. Let me know if this link works for you. Since retired and spend most time playing out back,  I seem to lost a lot of techie skills   ::)

http://www.whowee.com/Ameraucana/Silver/index.html

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Bantam Silver Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
Pretty nice coloring, except on the breast where it should be solid black.   Wings are carried too low, comb is bad as you inferred.   Is he still growing in some saddle feathers at the base of the tail?   The back does not flow smoothly into the tail.    Do you have any other males to use as breeders?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
Thanks, Mike

Yes, the only male Silver.

He is still changing and I will take pics of him more often over the next couple months so I can really tell.

The tail carriage and topline were a couple concerns beyond the comb.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
In the "pros" column at this time the silvery white areas appear very nice without any red in his shoulders.  There is also a nice green sheen in those black tail feathers.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
On top of what everyone else has mentioned I would like to add I would like to see a little more striping in his hackles. They are a little to clean in my eyes, I do love how wide his tail feathers are, but it's a little long. He is a prime example how the Silver Bantams still need a lot of improvement. Don't take me wrong I don't have any that are much better than him as well. After 7 years of trying to improve the combs I came to the conclusion it is only possible through cross breeding to another variety.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
On top of what everyone else has mentioned I would like to add I would like to see a little more striping in his hackles. They are a little to clean in my eyes, I do love how wide his tail feathers are, but it's a little long. He is a prime example how the Silver Bantams still need a lot of improvement. Don't take me wrong I don't have any that are much better than him as well. After 7 years of trying to improve the combs I came to the conclusion it is only possible through cross breeding to another variety.

I agree with Russ.   And the one variety I would use to make the outcross is with Brown Red bantams.   It is the one variety where you could select against shafting, a common problem in Silver females.   Obviously a Silver male with a Brown Red female(s).    The first generation would look nothing like silvers in color.   It would be at least a three generation project.
Mike Gilbert

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »
John, Thank you. His white is very silvery and the blacks have a nice sheen. I have not seen any hint of red in him.

Russ and Mike, I have thought of an outcross to work on the comb. I do not have a Brown Red female. I did see a forum where it was suggested to cross Silver over Wheaten. I have to reread it and make sure I understood it correctly and then I will throw it out for discussion/opinions or if anyone wants I will find the link and post here.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
John, Thank you. His white is very silvery and the blacks have a nice sheen. I have not seen any hint of red in him.

Russ and Mike, I have thought of an outcross to work on the comb. I do not have a Brown Red female. I did see a forum where it was suggested to cross Silver over Wheaten. I have to reread it and make sure I understood it correctly and then I will throw it out for discussion/opinions or if anyone wants I will find the link and post here.

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish through an outcross.   I very much doubt a cross of silver and wheaten would improve the unwanted shafting in silver females, but I never made that cross so don't know that for a fact. 
Mike Gilbert

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
It was just something I was pondering about for the comb and overall carriage. I did wonder if anyone had attempted it or had any thought about what pitfalls there might be.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »
It was just something I was pondering about for the comb and overall carriage. I did wonder if anyone had attempted it or had any thought about what pitfalls there might be.

I've outcrossed bantam silvers with buff, black and lavender in recent years. 
Since silver bantams are lacking in Ameraucana "type" compared to the other varieties try to find one of superior type for the outcross...the smallest comb, wings held high, proper tail angle or even too low.  Remember to keep "compensation mating" in mind.  If a trait on the silvers is too far one way, try to mate with a bird that shows the same trait too far the other way to make the most progress in the least amount of time.
Use a silver male over a female of the outcross variety to make sure you use sex-linked Silver (S) and Gold (s+) to your advantage.
Maybe set up two or more small breeding coops with females of two or more different varieties, rotating you cock over them and identifying the chicks as they hatch. 
Continue with the homework.  ;)