Author Topic: What to pair with a buff pullet?  (Read 1121 times)

Dennis Heltzel

What to pair with a buff pullet?
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »
I ended up with some single bantam pullets. Most I know how to pair with other colors, but I'm not sure what I will get from a buff pullet in with the lavenders or silvers (the 2 color cockerels I have). Is there any interesting colors I could breed toward using a buff?

Also, if I cross wheaten and lavender, the chicks will be black, not wheaten, right? Crossing he F2's should produce a tiny number of lavender wheatens, right?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: What to pair with a buff pullet?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »
I ended up with some single bantam pullets. Most I know how to pair with other colors, but I'm not sure what I will get from a buff pullet in with the lavenders or silvers (the 2 color cockerels I have). Is there any interesting colors I could breed toward using a buff?

Also, if I cross wheaten and lavender, the chicks will be black, not wheaten, right? Crossing he F2's should produce a tiny number of lavender wheatens, right?

The F1 generation is the first one produced by the Parental (P) generation, the initial birds used in a cross. 

Using a silver (S) based silver (the variety) cockerel over a buff pullet should produce pullets that are silver/white and cockerels that are silver, but with some gold/buff showing thru and all the offspring will probably have some black in their tails and other areas.
The lavender cockerel over the buff pullet should produce chicks that are mostly black. 
The results from a lavender K over a wheaten P should be about the same, as you mentioned. 
Wheaten and buff are gold (s+) based and lavender should be silver (S) based.  If you wanted to create The F1 birds bred together could produce some
The Chicken Calculator may help give you a better idea of what to expect.