Author Topic: Odd colored Brown Red Chicks  (Read 1317 times)

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
Odd colored Brown Red Chicks
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
So I've hatched a few bantam Brown Red chicks that have the chipmunk pattern. Any idea what they may look like when they are grown?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Odd colored Brown Red Chicks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
I had seen that in the large fowl, although not for the past few years, but never in the bantams before.   The odd large fowl grew up to be nothing worth keeping.  I would cull these chicks and not waste any space, time or feed on them.    My best guess is a different e-locus gene floating around in the gene pool.  Either Eb or e+, and I lean toward Eb.   Both are recessive to ER (birchen), which means unfortunately, that both male and female parents were/are carriers.   Also means about 2/3 of the properly colored chicks would be carriers.   If you want to rid your gene pool of this, you need to do a test mating on each of your breeders.   Which might be a good reason to keep just a few of these oddities to use in test matings. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Odd colored Brown Red Chicks
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
Someone has done some recent outcrossing or crossbreeding.  A so called fence jumper could be the blame.  I suggest starting over with birds from another source.
If you grow them out and one ends up a cockerel with a wing triangle they carry e+. 
Two are light and one is dark in the photo...maybe silver and gold.  If any end up more silver than gold I would guess the outcross was with silver Ameraucanas.