Author Topic: Getting ready for another hatching season  (Read 235 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Getting ready for another hatching season
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
John a little trick I found this year is have a 1' 2x12 ( just because I had one in my barn from construction) handy. I set it on the edge of a bucket and just smack the top of the cups flat against it. Usually one tap and the whole block falls right out into the bucket. I was just tapping them on the top edge of the bucket but with this real cold weather the cups would crack. With hitting them flat on the 2x12 I haven't broke one cup. Sure did save me a lot of time, I just clear all the cups, then go through filling them  8)
S.E. Michigan

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
I set my last batch of eggs yesterday. The animal health commission will be coming out this Friday to depopulate the remaining breeders. I should end up with around 350 chicks with all breeds and varieties combined. Mostly large fowl blacks and blues. I only got a few chicks from the bantam blacks and nothing from the bantam blues so I'll be losing those two varieties. On a positive note, I should have some birds that are in good condition for the national.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Red Stag Acres
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
Max, did you give up on the bantam brown reds?   Or just forgot to mention them?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11,12

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Max, did you give up on the bantam brown reds?   Or just forgot to mention them?

No, I still have them. I should have about 25 chicks to raise. All together I have large fowl blacks and blues, bantam brown red, bantam wheaten and bantam blue wheaten. Also the large fowl blue laced red Wyandotte and blue andalusian.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:01:55 AM by Max Strawn »