Author Topic: Brown Red large fowl cockerel  (Read 5514 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Brown Red large fowl cockerel
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:04:50 PM »
Here is one of my two large fowl brown red cockerels being used this year.   He wanted to squat a bit, but feel free to critique.  I have not weighed him, but he appears to be under standard weight, which is 5.5 lbs for a cockerel.   He's still fairly young, so I'm hoping he fills out a bit yet. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:08:43 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: Brown Red large fowl cockerel
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:02:49 AM »
Well Mike, me critiquing your bird is like Job questioning God!  That didn't work out so well.  I reckon you've forgotten more about Ameraucanas that I'll ever know.  But I do know that even the most experienced breeders can sometimes fall victim to barn blindness so I'm guessing that's why you ask.

That being said, honestly, I don't see much that could be improved other than what you've already pointed out.  I reckon once he's matured he'll have more of a frontline on him with a deeper chest.  I also imagine that ifn he were to hold his head a little higher that tail would come down just right. 

Since it's not one of my varieties I can't really comment on the color.  Don't know a thing about it.  All in all I'd say it's a mighty fine looking bird.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:59 PM »
First impressions are wow, what a magnificent bird! :o Feather width/quality looks superb and his colouring is really rich and vibrant. I can almost imagine him lighting up the show room floor. lol I had no idea brown reds were this beautiful. So I dug out my Standard and compared him to the picture there. Again, I’m not seeing much wrong at all, other than needing to fill out more. His back may be slightly too horizontal, but that’s likely from the way he’s posing as already previously stated.
Like Royce, I fear I’m only nit picking at best. I think he’ll grow up to be serious eye candy.  ;D
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »
Wow, Mike those are good looking cockerels. They look like they have good type. Are they showing correct color e.g. hackle feathers,chest, wing etc? I love the Brown Reds, but I'm not familiar with them.

V/r

Cesar

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
Actually, both photos are of the same bird.   I like his coloring because it is so even in shade throughout.   Those that show darker coloring on the back and wings carry a form of Ap (autosomal red) which prevents the even coloring.   That said, the chest lacing continues down lower than the mid-section of the breast.   I like to use this kind on the darker colored females.   Brown Reds are crow wings, which means totally black primaries and secondaries. 
Mike Gilbert

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
Mike, would the picture attached this post be considered uneven color? If so does it carry that form of (Ap)?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
Yes, but just looking at him, I would guess only one copy of Ap, not two.   So he very well could throw some without Ap.    Looks like one of mine, and if he is he could be a grandfather of the one I posted above. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:27:09 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert