Author Topic: Happy 40th Anniversary!  (Read 1005 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Happy 40th Anniversary!
« on: December 23, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »
2018 marks the 40th Anniversary of Ameraucana chickens and our club.  In the early 1970s Mike Gilbert started creating a bantam, wheaten, blue egg laying breed of chickens.  They were what most called Araucanas and referred to as American Araucanas around 1976.  In 1978 Don Cable teamed up with Mike to form a breed club for the new breed.  A member suggested the name Ameraucana.  It was voted on that fall and accepted.  The little club with about a dozen members, including Jerry Segler, took on the name Ameraucana Bantam Club.  When large fowl Ameraucanas were accepted we changed the name to Ameraucana Breeders Club to make it inclusive and since changed it again to Ameraucana Alliance!

Lets make 2018 a year to celebrate!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:38:56 PM by John W Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Happy 40th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Maybe one of the best ways of celebrating is to have a HUGE turnout for our national meet next September.   We can party Friday night AND Saturday night before departing Sunday a.m.    It's not too early to be making motel reservations.   I'm looking forward to it!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
This is awesome, I would like to thank everyone involved in getting them recognized and developing them. You guys created an amazing breed of chicken and should be very proud. Unfortunately I have been made aware of someone who seems to criticize and is attempting to omit and add certain people to "the history and creation" of this breed. Hopefully those new to this breed are smart enough to research the true history of our breed and our wonderful Alliance. Mike I think you are right, we should promote our National Meet and make it extra special.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Ameraucana Handbook, 2018, p38
...Thereafter, Don and Mike began exchanging letters in which they discussed forming a club for the purpose of seeking ABA recognition of this “new breed”. Don offered to serve as interim Secretary/Treasurer, if Mike would serve as interim President of the proposed Club, to gather interested breeders together, and hold an election. Mike was aware of several potential club members, and together with Jerry Segler, of Illinois, and Don Cable, they scoured the membership lists of “Araucana” clubs that they had belonged to, all of which had folded!...

40+ years later Jerry, Don and Mike are still members.  An Ameraucana Handbook comes with every new "1st time" membership and memberships start at just $10!

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
Here!  Here!  To all the comments.   It was great to be reminded that it all started with a Wheaten  ;D  even though it was a bantam  :P  LOL

Seriously, my utmost appreciate and gratitude to all those involved in getting this great breed recognized and all the time, effort, and expense that you gave to do so.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)