Author Topic: Pheasaucana  (Read 295 times)

John W Blehm

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Fowl Stuff
Pheasaucana
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
This is a bit off topic for this forum, but it does involve Ameraucanas and may be of interest to some of you.  I'm going to try a cross with Silver Pheasant males over silver Ameraucana chicken females...both bantam and large fowl.

This is just for the fun of it with the goal to end up with chickens in a few generations that have some pheasant traits.
The second year I plan to put hybrid males over chicken females and maybe even chicken males over hybrid females. Again I hope to work on both bantam and large fowl, so that could be four breeding pens.

If I follow thru and it works out the end result would be a new bluish egg laying breed called Pheasaucana.  I've also started a thread on the Coop forum requesting helpful information.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Pheasaucana
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »
I am looking forward to some pictures of this project, looks like fertility will be the challenge with the female offspring???
S.E. Michigan

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »
John, don;t think you should have too much trouble using a Silver pheasant because they are aggressive breeders.  I was given silver X ring neck crosses from a friend but they were very aggressive towards my chickens that were raised with them.  Have fun, good luck.

John W Blehm

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • Fowl Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
I have a mature cock and also a cockerel and they are all getting along well so far with each other and the chickens.  The guy I got these from keeps them with his chickens and said they roam together in his yard.  I had a silver cock several years ago with this same cross in mind, but gave up due to lack of enough coops/pens to do it right.  I just keep cutting back on breeds and varieties of chickens so I can fool around more with this type project.
I've done a lot of homework on this and it sounds like the silver Pheasant over a chicken is the best possible cross between a Pheasant and chicken to get viable offspring.   

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
What an awesome project. Hope to see progress.