Author Topic: Blacks Eye Color  (Read 2933 times)

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
Blacks Eye Color
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »
I'm new to raising (LF) Blacks.  Six weeks ago I hatched out 8 chicks from a single pair breeding.  All of them have olive colored eyes.  Is this typical, with development towards bay at an older age, or are they all destined for the stewing pot?
Duane

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Blacks Eye Color
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
I have noticed that it does change older they get. By 6 mo you will know for sure on color. With Blacks I have found the bigger problem is leakage of black in the eye around the pupil is a bigger problem. Instead of being nice and round it tends to break up and extend into the rest of the eye.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
With Blacks I have found the bigger problem is leakage of black in the eye around the pupil
For sure, but now that so many other LF black traits have been brought up to the Standard, in the last several years we've made big improvements in their eye color and structure.  Egg color has also improved greatly. 

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 02:53:46 PM »
I agree John of all the varieties Black is the Most solid for size & type. Remember Duane sometimes you just have to use the best of what you got also 😀
S.E. Michigan

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
Final eye colour is reached around the same time as sexual maturity.

With Blacks I have found the bigger problem is leakage of black in the eye around the pupil is a bigger problem. Instead of being nice and round it tends to break up and extend into the rest of the eye.

I've seen this firsthand too. Chicken eye colour is fascinating really...and a lot more complex than I first thought. But then isn't everything genetic. lol

There is a good summary in one of my genetic books that says chicken eye colour consists of the following: blood vessels (red, orange) or the visible absence; black pigment on the front/backside of iris, or absence; opaque layer which causes pearl eye; carotene in iris (orange/yellow) or absence; genes which inhibit black pigment on one or both sides of the iris; genes which inhibit pigment distribution (barred, mottled).

It goes on to say there are more factors playing a role than meets the eye, (har har) and some even counteract the above. Nothing simple here, that's for sure.
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden