Author Topic: Blue Wheaten Male Standard  (Read 3985 times)

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: Blue Wheaten Male Standard
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:35 AM »
I brought my BW in tonight just to take some pics of his breast.  I ain't even bothering to wash the stupid bird because one side of his face is missing a beard and muffs for the most part.  Sorry for the quality of the pics but it ain't easy to hold a bird and try to snap a pic in focus with the other hand.  Deleted the worst.  Also, I have to reduce the size a lot because each pic was at least 1MB.  Hopefully folks can make then bigger (Ctrl+)and then zoom in.   If Mike or anyone else wants the originals I'll keep 'em for awhile and forward on request.

Now a couple comments on the pics and then shafting.  If you look you'll see some feathers that appear to have light shafting, some with darker shafting, and some with no shafting.  If you look at the pics thoroughly you'll see the same pics and feathers from different angles.  Holding the bird with my right hand and then my left.  FWIW, the same feathers will appear to have a light or dark shaft depending on the angle the pic was taken.  Probably how the light was hitting it.  In fact, there are a couple of pics that show the edging to be much darker than it really is and you'll notice there is NO shafting on those.  Somebody mentioned that the shafting was darker on the nicer, darker edging.  I'm not seeing it and I'll look again tomorrow when I have more time but looking at it with my naked eye I'm just not seeing shafting.

Second, the shafting I'm familiar with is on my Welsummers.  There is NO mistaking it for what it is.  There is NO mistaking the shafting I'm familiar with because the shaft is not even the same color as the web.  This would be like the red-orange shafting that is permissible in the BW tail.  Which btw, Mike, what was the reason for that being included?  I would think if a tail was free of all the red/orange in the tail, especially the sickles the shafting wouldn't be there.

Third, when you look at the Glossary in the SOP on Page 11 for "Shafting" it refers you to Page 32.  Somebody besides me needs to look at that because, I swear, I looked at that THREE times and I do NOT see Blue mentioned at all.  What's up with that?  IF it's not even mentioned, and I didn't miss something, then why are we even worrying about it?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:58:53 AM by Tailfeathers »
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:52:52 AM »
four more
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 05:54:34 AM »
four more...
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 05:55:58 AM »
Last four...
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »
Royce said
Third, when you look at the Glossary in the SOP on Page 11 for "Shafting" it refers you to Page 32.  Somebody besides me needs to look at that because, I swear, I looked at that THREE times and I do NOT see Blue mentioned at all. 

------------
Thanks for the pix Royce.  Shafting in the SOP is said to be a "standard requirement in some breeds; a disqualification in others" per 2014.  On pg 37 Blue is defined as an even shade of clear bluish slate distinctly "laced" with glossy black.  I think laced should be edged as lacing is what Sebrights have, but I've looked at many SOPs over the years and see that in the 1950's the APA went with the indistinct terminology of the UK Standard because lacing and edging was confusing to some.  In the 1920's this was a great issue and there are a lot of articles about why the difference -- but the 50's all opposition was dropped as I guess there were less breeders.  In both female and male blue color requirements there is no comment about shafting, so based on other standards I have worked with, if no expressed it is not a requirement.

For Blue there is a reference to Slate that is termed a shade of gray having a bluish cast.  Only in Andalusians 126 did I find that blue must be again "laced."   The SOP incorrectly send you to pg 29 for a reference shot of this, but it is really on 24 figure 54 of "laced feather" with a dark blue shaft.

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 12:59:00 AM »
Started this earlier this morning when I sat down for a bit of coffee before heading to town on some errands and then on to the fairgrounds too coop in. Got cooped-in and now I'm sitting down for a bit before I head out to make my rounds.

You're welcome, Suki.  I have a 2010 but I believe the description you gave on Pg. 37 is the same in mine and that pertains to the overall color Blue.  Not the "shafting" of the feather as mentioned for numerous other varieties and referred to from Pg. 11. 

Both the description and the figures show the "lacing" should be "thin". That's seen in Fig. 54 as you mentioned and also in Fig. 62.  Those seem to be much more narrow than what I've seen.  Not only in Barnevelders but SLWs too.  Attached is a pic of what I think of when I see "lacing".  The first was the Blue Barnevelder Cockbird I had and the second are a few feathers I pulled outta one of my standard hens.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
Royce, I'm seeing single lacing in the male bird, and double lacing in the female feather.  Is that normal in Barnies?  That is one breed I'm not at all familiar with.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
Lacing is generally seen in varieties based on either the ER or eb E-locus. 
FYI...the Pattern gene (Pg) used to be called the Lacing gene (Lg).
Columbian (Co) is required for single lacing, but not for double lacing.

POULTRY GENETICS >Mutations >Secondary Pattern Genes >
Heterozygous Pg and Ml on eb Co base:
Moore & Smyth (1972) found that by itself the pattern gene caused an incomplete lace – restricted to the distal tip of the feather. Melanotic (Ml) was required to complete the lace, with the two genes functioning dose dependently. The following diagram is based on a drawing from the following article by Smyth: Genetic Control of Melanin Pigmentation in the Fowl (1976)- available for download at Poultry Science.

This is what they segregated from test breeding Silver Laced Wyandottes (from memory, to an eb test line?): The following are eb Co based:

* Note, I’ve changed Lg (from the original drawing) to Pg (& I’ve changed ground colour from silver to gold).

So heterozygous Pg-Ml/pg+-ml+ on Co looks similar to spangling, & Pg/Pg on Co produces an incomplete lace on the tip of the feather.

Secondary Pattern Genes
(Pg, Ml, Db, mo, B, BSd, Co, Db, Erminette (Er) )
Secondary Patterns based on:
Pg- Pattern gene, Ml- Melanotic, Co- Columbian, Db - Dark Brown...
* Note, the following are only base genotypes. Both Smyth & Carefoot have indicated that their proposed genotypes of secondary patterned varieties (with Pg, etc) are the BASE genotypes for these varieties. They have noted what genes have segregated from test breeding (including linkage testing), but admit freely that there are other modifiers needed to produce exhibition quality birds.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »
From the same site, the double laced varieties in Barnevelder and Dark Cornish is listed as:   2: eWh Pg Ml Cha*

To me this indicates that Pattern Gene and Melanotic (both required for lacing) would really mess up the female wheaten color pattern.    I'm not sure what happens when Columbian is added in, but I suspect you end up with single laced females.  Barnevelders and Dark Cornish are double laced. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
Royce thanks for the pictures they look great  :D . I have come to the conclusion after 8 years of trying to get lacing on my Large Fowl blues that my original line lacked the genetic capabilities to get it. That's why a got some of Max Strawns Blues to bring in the correct genetics to achieve lacing.  At the best I had achieved really good edging after 8 years, which I feel is different from lacing due to the expression each feather type has. Better yet the lack of expression that edged feathers have once removed. As Royce pictures show, laced feathers show lacing when pulled, and will also show it when layed on white paper. An edged feather from my experience only expresses the edging when it is directly on top of another feather. Once you pull that feather it no longer expresses the edging, even when laid on white paper it will look like a solid feather. I do not understand how by APA definition edging can be referred to the definition of lacing when there is plainly two different expressions. I think that and the shafting that accompanies both Edging and Lacing is what is up for debate, along with the ramifications bringing the necessary genes in will have with the overall look of Blue Wheaten. I have posted pictures of a blue laced feather (from my LF Blue Ameraucana, which I openly admit are still a work in progress and do not have true Andalusian lacing) compared to an edged Blue Wheaten feather on the APA debate just to prove the different expression lacing has compared to edging. I do not have any large fowl blue wheaten but I do have bantams and more importantly laced blue bantams as well. So I have agreed to make an outcross in an attempt to bring actual lacing in my line of blue wheaten. Despite my best judgement that it will change the phenotype of the female at the very least, I also believe males will be affected as well. This is the only way I can think of to prove a point and put speculation at rest. The one good thing is if I am wrong I will have achieved a major step to correcting my line, and if I am right it will confirm the need to acknowledge the differance between edging and lacing. More importantly the definition the SOP currently has for them.
S.E. Michigan

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
Yes Mike.  The males were single-laced originally and females double-laced.  The Blues & Silvers were the same.  Single-laced in the males & Double in females.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 11:32:27 PM »
Data presented on the genetic basis for plumage color of the Birchen and Blue varieties of the Leonesa, a breed of Spanish chicken whose feathers are traditionally used by fishermen for the construction of artificial flies.

The results of crosses between Birchen Leonesa males and Castellana (E/E Ml/Ml) females suggested that the former carries the birchen allele (ER) at the E locus.

This allele is modified by the melanotic gene (Ml), resulting in self black plumage pattern. This  was further verified by the cross between Melanotic Prat (eWh/eWhCo/Co Ml/Ml) males and Birchen Leonesa females.

The degree of expression of ER is not modified by the Colombian mutation (Co), though it is suggested that this gene produces nonblack lacing in  the upper breast feathers of some birchen birds.

The data verifies the existence of separate alleles for birchen (ER) and extended black (E) and clarifies the interaction between the birchen allele, Columbian restriction and the melanotic loci.

--------from Professor J. L. Campo of Madrid Spain, 1993, Journal of Poultry of Sci.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:35:02 AM by Suki Paolini »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Blue Wheaten Male Standard re ABA
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »
So far all efforts are on the APA side.  Wouldn't the ABA also also to be addressed?  If so how would that progress?

Tailfeathers

• College
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
Royce thanks for the pictures they look great  :D .

Thank you, Russ, you're welcome.  You should try holding a phone in one hand and a rooster upside down with the other and taking a pic!  LOL

Better yet the lack of expression that edged feathers have once removed. As Royce pictures show, laced feathers show lacing when pulled, and will also show it when layed on white paper. An edged feather from my experience only expresses the edging when it is directly on top of another feather. Once you pull that feather it no longer expresses the edging, even when laid on white paper it will look like a solid feather.

I'm not sure about the former of that.  Depends on what you mean by "directly on top of another feather".  If mean they actually have to be laying on top of one another and touching then I know that's not true because at the show on Saturday I was looking at the edging with Jean Ribbeck and I could see the edging as I lifted out breast feathers from others. 

I was gonna pull a few of the better edged breast feathers this past weekend from him so I could take a pic of them just like the Barnie feathers and post it.  Unfortunately, Saturday was WAY too hectic and it didn't happen Sunday either.  I had to make a run to the Commissary and then immediately after I finished with that a family from church pulled in the drive so we could go pick out an Ameraucana and a Welsummer pullet for their daughter who is in the FFA and will be participating now in the Showmanship at the fairs and shows.

If y'all will allow me, I'd like to go down a brief rabbit trail here.  The family approached me several months ago.  The girl and her sister farm sat for me so I could attend the 2-day show in Chehalis last November.  A month or so later they asked me if they could get a bird or two to start working with for the Showmanship.  I took the lead from Duane and asked them to do their research and then write me a short paper on why they picked what they did.  I have that paper and will definitely be hanging onto it!!  We looked over all the Ameraucanas and Welsummers and she took home 1 of each that were about 3mos old.  Has anyone else ever experienced the struggle of letting the best bird you think you've ever had and maybe seen go away free before you've even had a chance to show it yourself?  Boy howdy was that tough!  I admit it was a struggle but I wanted her to have a good start and, ya know, somehow it actually feels pretty good.  Pretty sure I've NEVER done anything like that before.

And btw, This Wheaten pullet has unbelievable wing color.  For those who know the WBS, ya know the wing color always comes in after the tail color so that should tell ya something.  On top of that she had absolutely NO ticking anywhere.  NONE!!  The overall coloration was almost as light as a BW and, except for a very small area of "burnt brown" on the very top of the head, it was pretty uniform over the whole body with the hackles being slightly darker.  Gorgeous bird.  Pretty sure the best Wheaten I've ever had.  And, of course, I didn't think to take a pic of it until just now.  I did tell her I might just wanna borrow it for a few weeks so I can breed it it and get some of her offspring. 

Oops!  Shouldn't have started down that trail.  Almost forgot to come back to the main topic!  It'll probably be this next weekend before I can get those feathers and snap a pic to post here.  And I'll take one laying on a plain white piece of paper too.  I'm actually curious to see that myself.

I do not understand how by APA definition edging can be referred to the definition of lacing when there is plainly two different expressions.

If I understand you correctly you are referring to what I was saying awhile back.  The APA not only needs to change the wording for the BW standard but it needs to change the wording for "edging" and "lacing" as it applies to all breeds/varieties.

I think that and the shafting that accompanies both Edging and Lacing is what is up for debate

I'd say there's plenty of proof that it's up for debate and wrt the "shafting" I'm not convinced there is enough evidence to prove the need for a change.  Personally, I think as long as the shaft is blue, and does not noticeably standout, I see know reason to make mention of it.  As you can see from the pics I posted, sometimes the shaft is seen and sometimes it's not on the same feather depending on how the light hits it.  I saw this same thing with the Barnevelders.  The shafting is to be the same color as the base color - reddish/brown.  Sometimes a feather would look like it might have a bit of a yellow/gold-ish shafting but looked at from another angle you could see it was the same color as the base color.

along with the ramifications bringing the necessary genes in will have with the overall look of Blue Wheaten.

You know what I have to say about that.

I have posted pictures of a blue laced feather

Where?  I don't see it here.  Like to see that.

So I have agreed to make an outcross in an attempt to bring actual lacing in my line of blue wheaten. Despite my best judgement that it will change the phenotype of the female at the very least, I also believe males will be affected as well. This is the only way I can think of to prove a point and put speculation at rest. The one good thing is if I am wrong I will have achieved a major step to correcting my line, and if I am right it will confirm the need to acknowledge the differance between edging and lacing. More importantly the definition the SOP currently has for them.

That is an OUTSTANDING comment and it brings up a point that I think needs to be addressed.  So here goes... in order to a new breed or variety to be approved there MUST be FIVE established breeders with a flock they have been breeding for FIVE years that breed true 50% of the time and then there MUST be enough conformity in at least 50 of those birds that pass muster when a Qualifying Meet is held.   

That said, and with the understanding that I fully realize in today's world with the increased knowledge of genetics and the readily available information that folks have access to the 5yr period could possibly be cut in half or at the very least greatly reduced. 

So, with all that said, I personally think that there should be some kind of definitive requirement for a change to the SOP to be made as well.  Russ' comment goes directly to this.  He is making the additional investment in time, effort, and expense to remove the guess work.  How many of these "many many breeders of the BW variety" have done such a thing?

In my very first comment on this thread I asked the questions, "Sarah, when you say "I trust the many many breeders of the BW variety", how many breeders are we talking about in the "many many"?  How long have they been breeding the BW?"

I still haven't seen a reply to that.  So I ask again and I'd add these:  1) Have you been breeding to the current SOP?  Has edging/lacing been a focus in your breeding program?  Has shafting been a focus?  Have you maintained a closed flock or added "new blood" to your flock?

These questions and more, I believe, need to be answered before we go start messing with the SOP.  If the answer to any of those questions is "No" then how can there be any evidence that a change is needed?  If the answer to how many BW breeders there are turns out to be 50 and their combined experience is less than half of 1 or 2 others then shouldn't that be considered?  There is just WAY too many Unknowns here to go messing with a SOP that has been in affect for 34yrs.

I'll add this one last thing just as an example of how running headlong toward accomplishing something that seems like a terrific achievement could be disastrous.  I don't think Sarah would mind me sharing this... A few years ago Sarah first started talking with me about getting the SW accepted into the APA.  While I definitely appreciate and love her enthusiasm and zeal for her love and appreciation of the SW and toward getting the SW more recognition, I was opposed to the idea.

Why?  For several reasons but primarily because I'm convinced at this point that the SW can tell us a lot about the BW.  For example, those who've raised up a SW mail know they sometimes have red edging in their breast feathers.  What does THAT tell you?  It tells me there may be, and probably is a correlation between the RED lacing on the breast of a SW and the darker blue lacing on a BW.  It also tells me that the discussion on the FB group about edging my not be accurate either because if that were the case the SW edging wouldn't be red. 

SO, I was opposed to the recommendation for acceptance BECAUSE let's just suppose they created a SOP that required the SW breast to be clean with no red in it.  What might that do to the BWs when bred to a W or BW????

Now all that may not be worth a plug nickel to some but it is my two-cents worth.  Ok, just saw how long this way.  Better make that two-bits worth.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:28:31 AM by Tailfeathers »
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome