Author Topic: Some are starting to get it right!  (Read 1130 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Some are starting to get it right!
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
Check out the link below, an ad I receive by email from our statewide Farm and Fleet store chain.   The nearest one is where I get my Nutrena Feather Fixer feed.    Notice the ad does not advertise Araucanas, Ameraucanas, or even Americanas.   They are advertising Easter Eggers!!!   The ad contains a planning link where you can compare breeds, and for Easter Egger egg color it says "various."   

https://www.farmandfleet.com/blog/guide-poultry-breeds/?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Guide+to+Poultry+Breeds&utm_content=%3F%3F+Flock+to+Your+Local+Blain%E2%80%99s+Farm+%26+Fleet+for+Chick+Days!&utm_campaign=180120+7302+Chick+Days+In+Area+PROOF
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:11:43 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Some are starting to get it right!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »
Although TSC is a national chain there are several regional farm & home/fleet stores and it is great to hear Blain's Farm & Fleet got it right!

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »
I just saw last week that my Col-Op had that "Feather Fixer" feed.  I prefer the Nutrena chickstarter over the Purina but use Purina Layer & Flock Raiser Pellets for the other birds.  Can you tell me more bout the Feather Fixer?
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »
It comes in 40 lb bags and is more expensive than regular feed.   It is a total balanced ration including vitamins and probiotics.   Where it stands out from other feeds, according to the company representative that spoke to our local poultry club, is that the grains used in the feed are tested for microtoxins, and if they are found to be over a certain very low level, the grain is rejected.  It comes in a small pellet which works well for both bantams and large fowl ( I have both).    It is not advertised as a breeder ration, but hatchability of fertile eggs has been very good so far.   On the downside, I am paying almost $16 per 40 lb bag. 
Mike Gilbert

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
What’s the protein on that feather fixer? I am sure it has to be a higher percentage than normal layer if they are calling it “feather fixer”?
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 02:53:01 PM »
If you feed more than 18%, the excess is probably passing out of their bodies without being utilized.   Here is a link:  https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-feather-fixer-poultry-feed     
There is also a good Q & A section on their website - just click on the links. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:56:24 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
Thanks, Mike. 

I give my chickens a mixture of about 60% Layer Pellet & 40% Flock Raiser Pellets.  The ducks get the opposite.  The chickens get about a cup of dry catfood per 5gal bucket of that mixture.  Ducks don't get any catfood.  Both get 10% 5-grain Scratch during the subfreezing temps.

I pay $19/50 lb bag of Flock Raiser Pellets, $13/40 lb bag of Layer Pellet, $15.50/40 lb bag of Nutrena Medicated Chickstarter, and $19/50 lb bag of Purina Start & Grow when I can't get the Nutrena. 

I'll have to check into the Feather Fixer and see if they're carrying it on a continual basis and how much.  If it's that much more expensive I may, being the cheapskate I am, try a few bags for awhile and mix it in with what I do now.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)