Author Topic: Vorwerk Color Phase  (Read 2693 times)

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
Vorwerk Color Phase
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
Why hasn't anyone worked on a bird with the Vorwerk or Lakenvelder color phase?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:32:48 PM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Vowerk Color Phase
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
Perhaps because Vowerks  -- according to the ABA 2014 standard ---are considered "extinct" as no one has shown them in over 10 years so development would be slow.  There was lots of interest in the Vowerk on the APA list and Mike mentioned John Blehm, but honestly he is the only one out there with them -- so I think sourcing at least the Vowerks would be an issue.  As for the Lakenvelders, I barely see them at the shows and most are not of good quality.  I have one, that I got from John, the others all died, and they are very flighty being based on Leghorns, but the real problem with is the health issue there. 

There is an interesting thread on the APA Official site today about how long it takes to develop a strain which is why projects colours come and go  -- they do not pick up traction and the one person working on them gets ill, dies, doesn't want others to get the "glory"  or just (typically the issue)  tired of all the work particularly when Breed Clubs are not very accepting of new varieties.

I think, on that thread, the way to avoid that, is tyler Danke's suggestion is to allow all breeds all colours automatically and then just deal with vetting of them at the shows.  Brian Decker, an ABA APA Judge did not like that idea, and I think he is representative of the APA standards committee that wants to control what and what they do not allow -- for whatever reason.  I believe that needs to change.

Sue

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Vorwerk Color Phase
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
Why hasn't anyone worked on a bird with the Vorwerk or Lakenvelder color phase?
I thought about it many years ago and Mike thought I might have had plans to the last time he heard I got back into them.  They have beautiful colors and patterns.  The breeds are too flighty for me and there isn't much interest in the day-old chicks of those bantam breeds I've offered.  It may be a good project for someone that wants to enjoy the Vorwerk and Lakenvelder varieties on a docile breed.  Getting rid of the white earlobes would be the biggest problem, but it can be done.  After that it would still be an ongoing work in progress trying to get the color pattern just right.

Perhaps because Vorwerks  -- according to the ABA 2014 standard ---are considered "extinct"...
Sue
To the best of my knowledge bantam Vorwerks have existed in the US since Wilmar Vorwerk created them.  After he passed, his Vorwerks went to Trevor Nau and Bob somebody.  I've bought directly from them over the years and Trevor showed them at shows I saw him at.  I don't know if either of them have Vorwerks today.  Before I got out of them several years ago I sold some to Terry Lund and bought some from him when I got back into the breed. 

...Tyler Danke's suggestion is to allow all breeds all colours automatically and then just deal with vetting of them at the shows...Sue
Sounds like a suggestion/idea Mike mentioned a few year ago.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:20:26 AM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Vowerk Color Phase
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
from the 2014 ABA standard...

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »
Hi John

I see you no longer offer them.  Did you still have them ?

Sue
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:56:03 PM by John W Blehm »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
Hi John
I see you no longer offer them.  Did you still have them ?
Sue

I offered them for several months on my Order Form without anyone ordering them for this year.  Since I have hatched all I want I'm setting my last eggs from them on Monday and breaking down the breeding pens.
If an Alliance member or more wants some for a project like Harry mentioned, please email me ASAP and I'll sell a box of 25 day-old bantam Vorwerks and Lakenvelders cheap.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:28:21 PM »
I took that offer from John but now I am wondering since i cannot find a hatchery with them, who else has them?

thanks.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:24:44 AM »
Terry Lund in Wisconsin and Trevor Nau in Minnesota have bantam Vorwerks. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »
Thanks,   is this the Lund of the Prescott?  There are a few in the Badger State with that name.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/terry-lund-obituary?pid=167201108&view=guestbook

Trevor OTOH was easier to find in St. James, MN but he is out of chickens totally when AI hit MN and his flock.  He  sold them to Tony Ewert of Mt Lake Minnesota.  I'll give that a go next.

Sue
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:13:03 PM by Suki Paolini »

Monique Mankin

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
Greenfire Farms is selling Vorwerk chicks on their website and you can catch them selling hatching eggs on Ebay. However, I believe they are large fowl.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
Thanks,   is this the Lund of the Prescott?  There are a few in the Badger State with that name.
...Sue

If you click on his name, up in Reply #2, it will take you to his site.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
Didn't notice the link.  Thanks John.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

Sue
[/quote]
Greenfire Farms is selling Vorwerk chicks on their website and you can catch them selling hatching eggs on Ebay. However, I believe they are large fowl.

Thanks Monique, I saw that on ebay.  They went for $167.00 plus shipping for 10 eggs.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
Terry Lund <terry@prismglassworks.com>

Terry is the current secretary of the Call Duck club. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »
Thanks!