Author Topic: National Meet award eligibility requirements  (Read 1129 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
National Meet award eligibility requirements
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
In the past awards at our Ameraucana National Meets were awarded as long as the open show winner was an Alliance member.  Last year BB, RB and BV winners received $50.  RV winners received $30.  There were as many as 24 birds shown in one class and as few as 1 in a different class. 
I bring this up because it came to mind a couple months ago when the board was discussing "competition" at our Club Meets.  At our Club Meets it takes "three or more exhibitors of Ameraucanas in a class" before a ribbon is given.  Maybe it should take more than one bird in a class at our National Meets before an award is given.
How about 7?  That is the same number as a Display.  Regardless of the number of exhibitors I'm thinking of requiring at least 7 entries in a National Meet open show class before an award is awarded/given.  This would cover all varieties...not just APA/ABA recognized or Best AOV. 
Comments?

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: National Meet award eligibility requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
I think that is a good idea, but I know there are a lot of varieties that have very few breeders showing them. First one to come to mind would be our Brown Reds (large fowl and bantam) and our Silver variety (especially bantam) I would hate to see people figure "it's not worth entering them" if they know only one or two people attending will be exhibiting them? I have seen National Meets where only 3 of a variety were entered, but I was glad they were so other people could see them in person (my self included). So possibly instead of requiring 7 maybe lower it a tad to at least 3? That would mean they have to beat two others for best of variety. We could include where 7 are needed for RV being awarded? Just my thoughts and looking forward to see what everyone's opinions are. I know I really enjoyed seeing every variety being represented at our 2016 National, I would hope one day that is a normal occurrence at our Nationals.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
Keep in mind my proposal doesn't say more than one exhibitor would have to enter the 7+ birds in a class...just need whatever the minimum number of birds entered, whether "OUT" or not.
This could work for not just variety and breed classes, but be extended for trio and displays also...all open show classes.  In other words 7 (?) or more bantam trios would have to be entered before awards are issued and the same for LF trios.  With displays we combine bantam and LF displays, so the award is for Champion Display Overall and in that case the minimum number would cover Ameraucana displays "overall".

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »
I find it hard to believe non of our members are interested in voicing there opinions on this matter. Perhaps many have missed this and there fore haven't chimed in. Remember folks, as a dues paying member this is your club as well and therefore gives you the right to voice your opinion  ;). I know Beth brought up a good point on this maybe she would like to share with everyone?
S.E. Michigan

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »
It is unclear to me what is the motivation for the change.  It surely is not the money.  Do some think it is unfair that someone receives the same ribbon for BV Silver as BV Blue when the number of entries is disparate? I think all members in attendance would recognize the difference in level of competition, but wouldn't begrudge the winner who working on Silvers.  Might the current practice encourage more of us to work on varieties that need the most work?  I think that is a good thing.  If only 1 Brown Red is exhibited, but it is an incredible specimen that is awarded BB, why restrict the club awards?
Duane

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
It is unclear to me what is the motivation for the change.  It surely is not the money.  Do some think it is unfair that someone receives the same ribbon for BV Silver as BV Blue when the number of entries is disparate? I think all members in attendance would recognize the difference in level of competition, but wouldn't begrudge the winner who is working on Silvers.  Might the current practice encourage more of us to work on varieties that need the most work?  I think that is a good thing.  If only 1 Brown Red is exhibited, but it is an incredible specimen that is awarded BB, why restrict the club awards?
Duane

Thank you Duane.   I tend to agree with you.   A good number of our varieties are under represented because solid colors tend to be easier to win with.  With the exception of Buff, which is much more difficult to maintain from generation to generation than is black or white. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13