Author Topic: Lavender popularity  (Read 1729 times)

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
Lavender popularity
« on: May 05, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
Seems funny when several breeds were called "Self Blue" there was no extreme excitement about the birds but as soon as the Lavender Orpingtons that I gave to someone back around 2005/06 they became popular then the Ameraucana Lavenders became extremely popular and both breeds in "Lavender' are in seek throughout the country.  When the ameraucanas previously were in the infant stage for "Self Blues" back in the early 2000's or earlier using the term "Self Blue" they went stagnate.  One word with proper marketing seems to explode when what some call the correct terminology does not create the same excitement.  The term "Lavender" is more popular than "Self Blue" even when searching for information.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Lavender popularity
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »
I've noticed the same thing.  But the APA and the ABA are not about change, and they are not about correcting old mistakes.    And their rigidity isn't winning them any friends. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
I have to agree, the term self blue just is incorrect in my opinion. It is the reason I sold out of all my Bantams. Now they are pushing for recognition I lost all interest in breeding them unfortunately. I did set some eggs hoping to have a few to enter as Lavender at our National Meet but none will come back home with me hopefully.
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
I can state empirically that when you say Self Blue no one knows that is Lavender.  Instead  they think that is just Blue and that is definitely killing those sales as "blue" means trouble

Dennis Heltzel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
Anything "lavender" sells around here. It's all marketing, but why do people try so hard to fight this?
I just ordered some "self blue cochin bantam" chicks, you can be assured I will be selling their progeny as "Lavender Cochin bantams", a much more lovely name, IMO.

Steve Neumann

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
Sometimes I think that some within the chicken community like to be intentionally obtuse and confusing so that they can feel important and enlighten the unwashed masses with what should be self-explanatory concepts and pass that off as education instead of giving them advice or sharing experience that is meaningful and helpful.  I wish I could tally up all the hours people have spent explaining the difference between Self-Blue, Blue and Lavender to confused newbies, and make the advocates of the name Self-Blue sit in a quiet room and waste their time in equal measure for inflicting such a senseless waste of time on the world.